Backsweeten cherry melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
Any ideas on what to backsweeten a cherry melomel with? I used a can of cherry puree when I made the batch. It fermemted to arid dry and is sitting at 15.5 ABV. It has a gorgeous color but hot as hell. I bottled it because it was my first mead and wasn't thinking ahead (aka learning experience). I don't really have access to cherries other than the super market. I checked online and can only find tart cherry concentrate. I was thinking of maybe a simple sugar syrup and cherry extract for my next batch, or maybe about setting some of the puree aside but would have no idea how much to keep. Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

What's the matter with supermarket cherries? I hope it's not a bad thing because that's what I used to make the cherry melomel I've got going now, 4lbs. of frozen pitted black cherries into a 6 gallon carboy. It went from an OG of 1.112 to 1.015 in less than two weeks. When airlock activity stops I had planned on racking them onto another 4lbs. of frozen pitted black cherries.

Normally you would back sweeten with additional honey. What yeast did you use? If you used champagne yeast you ll prob keep fermenting the additional sweetening away until you've hit the alcohol tolerance. I've also used a sugar/water mix, a can of frozen concentrate. And xylitol which is non fermentable.

Stabilise it, then use honey and some frozen cherries. A couple of pound of fruit should be plenty then just use honey in small increments until it tastes good.

Honey can sometimes cause a haze in a cleared mead. Either time or 2 part finings should sort it.....

I know nothing about cherries or what kind is at the supermarket. If they are ok, I will look into it.

I never thought about using more honey. I used wpl720 and I can't imagine it getting any dryer or higher ABV.

I have checked a few times and the local stores have a very limited selection of frozen fruits. I have some time before my next melomel (apricot) is ready to bottle, so I will keep checking. I might even play with a few bottles of the batch I just bottled. I can't imagine drinking it the way it is.

Kirsch and simple syrup? It is made from cherries, and really good in black forest cake. By flash cooking it you burn off the spirits, then put in your simple syrup. It should give you a nice taste.

Back