backflush cleaner through corny gas post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was running some cleaner under pressure through my corny keg and had the crazy idea of backflushing the gas post. I'd need to make a tap for that post, like a party tap on 2-3' of tubing but with a gas QD on the end.

I said it was a crazy idea. How crazy is it really?

A little crazy unless you run organics (like beer) backwards through your gas post. CO2 doesn't contribute anything that needs cleaning. And you clean it when you clean your kegs, right?

I do this too.
Partially fill Corny with hot oxyclean, add pressure, pop on a liquid out QD for a few seconds, flip upside down and pull the pressure relief for a few seconds, then with the corny still upside down, pop a gas in QD on for a few seconds.
Drain, rinse, repeat.
Drain, Starsan, repeat.
Done.

I remove both posts and tubes every batch and rinse then starsan them. Probably overkill, but it only takes an extra 5 minutes to do and I know I've got a nice clean keg for the next batch.

I remove both posts and tubes every batch and rinse then starsan them. Probably overkill, but it only takes an extra 5 minutes to do and I know I've got a nice clean keg for the next batch.

This is my process, too. I soak my posts, tubes, and lid in the keg with PBW. I drop them all in and let them soak 30 minutes to an hour while I go do something else. The I pour our the PBW, rinse the components, reassemble, rinse the entire keg a couple of times, rinse with starsan, drain, the lid goes back on, then I pressurize the empty keg. When I need another keg, I know a keg is ready to refill because it's empty and under pressure.

Back