Back up fermentation chamber ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodonblood

Reaction score
I ordered one of the EBay temperature controller units to convert an extra refrigerator in to a fermentation chamber. Well it’s been 16 days and still on controller. I’m brewing my first batch this Sunday and it’s looking more and more like I’m going need a backup plan to keep my fermenting wort below 70. I live in Texas so there’s no basement and no room in the house that will be anywhere close to consistent or cold enough. Is the large tub filled with water and frozen water bottles my best/cheapest option? What are some of my other possibilities? Also I have an A/C window unit. If I build a foam board chamber around it and set it to the correct temperature will the thermostat in the A/C keep the chamber at that temperature consistently? Thanks in advance for the info everyone!

I'm sure a large tub with Water and Ice should work...

I'm thinking about one of those eBay temp controllers too..

Those swamp coolers don't work very well in humid environments, but it sure would be better than nothing, particularly if you have a lot of ice on hand. The A/C unit is your best bet.

Swamp cooler is probably the easiest solution at the moment. I am currently fermenting a few of my beers by wrapping them in wet towels and placing a fan in front of fermenters. I've been able to keep consistent temps around 66 degrees. I also keep my house around 68 this time of year.

I would think that Houston is much to humid for a true swamp cooler. Does anyone know of a thread about an A/C method that includes using the stock thermostat in the A/C unit? Every thread I can find uses an external thermostat.

Add a fan and a wet t-shirt over the bucket with the airlock sticking out the neck.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/2nd-batch-problems-298186/#post3708187

Be sure to use an old t-shirt. New ones have some sort of scotch-gard-ish treatment to them that prevents the water from wicking up. You want it to wick up the t-shirt and the fan (on low) moving the air past it. You don't want the fan blowing directly on it, because it will dry out the t-shirt too quickly. You want the fan blowing across it, just above the t-shirt. I've kept my ferm temps in the mid-60s here in Knoxville in July using exactly this set-up. Looking at the averages, the humidity in Houston in January is comparable to Knoxville in July.

Thanks guys it's looking more and more like I'll be using the swamp style cooler. Does anyone know of other methods that might work better?

Back