Back sweetening mead with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
I have a batch if raspberry mead I would like to back sweeten. If I back sweeten with honey how much honey do I need it's a 6gal batch and also do I need to boil and skim the honey before I dump it into the batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How much hony is subjective. Also honey can vary from verietal to verietal as to how much sugar one provides over the other. It is best to add it to taste. Don't worry about boiling and skimming. That will cook off any character your honey has and you might as well use simple syrup. Only thing is that if you back sweeten with honey it will cloudy up the mead. It may take 2 weeks to 30 days befor it clears if not longer.

Ok, so there's likely some calculation kicking around that says X amount of honey, will raise the gravity to Y in Z quantity.

Don't know what it is, but pretty sure I've read something about it, but it presumes standards i.e. the quantity ? fine, but the increase in gravity relies on the % sugars in the honey.

So unless you know exactly the sugar content, its gonna be hit and miss whatever.

Equally, do you know exactly what gravity or sweetness level you want ?

I'm gonna suggest that you just trial and error.

Now, if your batch is already clear, then there's a possibility that the back sweetening honey may cause a haze (its why I usually back sweeten to my taste level - 1.005 to 1.015, after its first or second post ferment racking(s) ). I "think" the haze like this is a protein issue.

It means it only gets cleared once, but the ferment must be finished, and either the yeast dead from exceeding its alcohol tolerance or by stabilising first.

If you check gravity once the batch is confirmed stable as above, measure gravity and taste.

If you wanted, you conduct a sweetening experiment with say a pint ot two adding small amounts of honey mixed with water (say 50/50) and add that. Not only will it show whether there's any possibility of hazing but also how much you'd need to add to the main batch to extrapolate the numbers for total required honey i.e measuring and tasting, tells you what the new gravity is and whether you like that level of sweetness or whether it needs more etc.

doing this a bit at a time can be done with the whole batch to get the taste you want, if you go over a little you can use acid to mask that......

As for boiling/skimming etc? A lot of use who're familiar suspect that that was originally done because any water used wouldn't have been clean/safe and it was just habit that's carried over, only to find that it's not really necessary.

What it does do, is clump any proteins into scum that's skimmed. Equally heating honey like that will drive off a lot of the varietal aromatics and VOC's, rendering the honey much more bland like cheap store bought stuff.

Personally if I get any hazing from sweetening an already cleared batch I just put it back into the jug/carboy and let it drop out naturally.

If you're feeling impatient, 2 part K&C finings usually does the trick.

And no, I don't heat/treat the honey for back sweetening.

So it's up to you really......

Thanks I don't think I will heat the honey and I'll start using a small batch of the mead

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Keep in mind that meads taste sweeter as they age, so if it's not very old & you sweeten it now, in 6 months or a year it may be too sweet.

I personally like my Raspberry Melomels to be fairly dry, but they need a solid 6 months to be good.

Keep in mind that meads taste sweeter as they age, so if it's not very old & you sweeten it now, in 6 months or a year it may be too sweet.

I personally like my Raspberry Melomels to be fairly dry, but they need a solid 6 months to be good.

I actually have a batch of Raspberry Melomel in primary right now using EC1118 . . it fermented up to 12% in about 8-9 days and its starting to taste a bit like cherry cough syrup :(. Is that normal? I know I will most likely need to backsweeten because its still fermenting at a decent rate . . I expect In another week Il be going to secondary.

Latest posts

Back