Back in love

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucejay

Reaction score
After a 2 year hiatus (had a kid) I ordered ingredients for an all Citra IPA and brewed it with a buddy of mine yesterday. Wearing my old cutoff Jean shorts, listening to steely dan and drinking his homebrew (I ran out long ago) I remembered all the smells and sights that I had completely forgot about. How the garage fills with the warm smell of grain or watching the hot break, and the wonderfully pungent aroma of hops as they're being added. Even the way the DME clumps on the edge of the bag when you're pouring it in. I was surprised how much I forgot but thank goodness I had taken good notes. I forgot how much I love the process and it's safe to say I'm hooked again.

The reason I'm writing this is to tell anyone who is considering starting this hobby or hasn't brewed in a while to do it as soon as possible. Buy a kit, jump in with both feet and go brew!!

Love reading this. :)

Am am a couple months into sourcing and collecting and buying gear to get me into the hobby and chomping at the bit to finally get started on my first brew.

Getting closer... Waiting for the gear kit to ship and for a family member to pick up and send the fermentation cooler bag and still drinking craft beer collecting bottles.

Plan on brewing, as you did, with a good friend with equipment and more experience than me.

Jump in, the water is (still) warm!!!!

My hiatus lasted about 20 years. I discovered small batch BIAB and decided it was a great way for me to get back to home brewing. Within a few months afte getting back in, I made a DIY mini- kegerator and currently have a 2.5 gal keg on tap, three more kegs priming/conditioning on deck and one more batch in the fermentor.

While 5 gallon kits are the standard, the small batch stove top is a great alternative for those who would like to homebrew but either space, budget or volume of 5 gallons is a road block. It's also a way for a beer lover to experiment and gain through experience a greater appreciation for crafted beers making the visit to the pub better.

Years ago, life and 2 sons got in the way. Now, I share my brews with them.

Can't go wrong with Steely Dan! Jorts are a different story... Lol!

Great to be have you brewing again.

Good on ya! I agree.

I've been rekindling it myself. After getting married, 2 kids, new job, selling a house, buying a house, and moving 200 miles... I'm finally dusting off all of my gear (and unfinished gear) and now I'm back at it. I have a 6 faucet kegerator that is flowing beer for the first time in 4 years (I know, its tragic), and it feels (and tastes) good!

I've brewed 25g in the last 6 weeks, and can't wait to do my next batch. It is just finding time with the aforementioned items that get in the way, but I'm making it work. Sometimes I have to brew until midnight to get it done. My wife just got me a 20g boil kettle for my birthday, so that'll be the next project.

Trust me guys if you saw these jorts you'd think differently, I'll have the wife take a pic when I brew next

Well, this is what I'm talking about. My brother, circa 1982. ish. I know what you're thinking. Yes, those old buicks were schweet.

[edit] BTW, smartasses, my brother is the one on the left. And straight. I'm sure grandpa was appalled.

scan253-67973.jpg

Welcome back, and gotta love those great tunes. Hey Andrew, I had shorts just like that! Same hair too! Also had the long handled comb that stuck out the back pocket of the shorts! :D

John

Well, this is what I'm talking about. My brother, circa 1982. ish. I know what you're thinking. Yes, those old buicks were schweet.

[edit] BTW, smartasses, my brother is the one on the left. And straight. I'm sure grandpa was appalled.

scan253-67973.jpg
Is your brother andy dick?

Welcome back, and gotta love those great tunes. Hey Andrew, I had shorts just like that! Same hair too! Also had the long handled comb that stuck out the back pocket of the shorts! :D

John

Goody. That's the comb brah. Donkey Kong was the game du jour, and here's the song I remember while driving Grandpa's buick.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY[/ame]

Is your brother andy dick?

Haha, no. But we've both been in the show biz, him longer than me. We both had SAG cards back then. That pic was around the time we were on the road.

Goody. That's the comb brah. Donkey Kong was the game du jour, and here's the song I remember while driving Grandpa's buick.

That's wild, Goody was the name! Everyone had a Goody comb. Blue or white were the cool colors. That song was very popular too. Totally took me back for a minute and brought a smile to my face! :mug:

John

After a 2 year hiatus (had a kid) I ordered ingredients for an all Citra IPA and brewed it with a buddy of mine yesterday. Wearing my old cutoff Jean shorts, listening to steely dan and drinking his homebrew (I ran out long ago) I remembered all the smells and sights that I had completely forgot about. How the garage fills with the warm smell of grain or watching the hot break, and the wonderfully pungent aroma of hops as they're being added. Even the way the DME clumps on the edge of the bag when you're pouring it in. I was surprised how much I forgot but thank goodness I had taken good notes. I forgot how much I love the process and it's safe to say I'm hooked again.

The reason I'm writing this is to tell anyone who is considering starting this hobby or hasn't brewed in a while to do it as soon as possible. Buy a kit, jump in with both feet and go brew!!

AMEN!

Cheers
Jay

I've got a similar story. Had a kid 2 years ago, been on hiatus for just under a year and brewed my first batch last Friday. Immediately after the wort cooled and the yeast was pitched, I was in the car on the way to the local brew store where I grabbed the stuff for my next two batches. Feels good to be back, huh?

It really does I just got transferring my Citra ipa to secondary to dry hop. Gonna do another ipa next weekend. Now I'm watching trolls with the tiny human (for the 45th time).

scan253-67973.jpg

Why would he be appalled? Because your brother made a shirt out of his pants?

Welcome back, I'm in a similar place on life, son justify turned 4 and am finally ready to get back into the hobby, cheers.

Back