back and forth between soda and beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teerum

Reaction score
I have a three tap kegorator and just filled one with a root beer for the first time. I remember having to change out all the rubber grommets when I first bought the keg and was wondering if I will need to do that after I kick this 5 gallons of root beer and go back to the good stuff. Also any special cleaning required for the lines. This soda seems a lot stickier than beer.

I suppose it probably depend on how long the soda sits in the keg. I'd say flush it when it kicks and see if it smells root-beer-y afterward. A few months could be ok, a year or more might be pushing it.

I have a 4 tap setup which I dedicate one tap/line/keg for root beer to avoid cross contamination.

Kinda what I figured. I guess it's easy/cheap enough to change out the grommets and hoses and save those ones for if I get another root beer keg. As always, I appreciate your responses.

If you have enough kegs, it might be worth it to dedicate a single keg to sodas/rootbeer. That is what I have done with 2-3 of my kegs. I won't ever use those for beer or anything other than soda. Same with one of my lines, it will only be used for soda.

If you have the bevseal ultra, or any type of barrier tubing, you should be able to flush, sanitize, and change liquids without flavors crossing over to the new beverage that you are serving.

Latest posts

Back