Babalu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a call from Jeff's wife today. She was excited to share some good news. Jeff has had a great week. His gall bladder infection is gone and they'll start to think about when the want to remove it soon.

He's back to making small daily progress in speech, occupational and physical therapy. In speech, he's now answering questions in more complete sentences. Instead of answering the question "what are you doing" with "sitting." He's now answering "I'm sitting in this chair." Or when asked what he likes to make at home, "I like to make beer." Another thing he's doing is, rather than just giving an answer that doesn't make sense, he's started to say, "I don't know, or "I don't remember." They are also able to keep him engaged in speech therapy for much longer time periods now. By the way, he's making all this progress without the heavy duty neural stimulant he was on, they've discontinued that one. He is still taking a much milder stimulant, one that he's been on all along.

Today in PT they had him sitting up and they were essentially trying to push him over, trying to test his balance and upper body control. He managed to stay upright. Something he previously wans't so good at. He's also back on the path toward eating real food again.

Something to note here. With each of the infection related setbacks he's had, his progress in therapy has taken a pretty hard hit. Each time it happens he has to work his way back to where he was. So you may be thinking to yourself, gee I thought he was already doing that. Well the answer is yes, he was already doing it. Now the good news is that he is doing it again.

It just goes to show you how much of a fighter Jeff really is.

We're headed in the right direction again! Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers. I still have no doubt that Jeff will be back.

Thanks for the update Frank. I always love to hear about Jeff's progress, even when it is him getting back to a level he has previously attained, because it is all steps to his recovery. Keep fighting the good fight Babs!

Great to hear that! I was wondering what was going on with Jeff last night. Tell'em to keep on keeping on.

A quick update from CapeBrewing:

Hi all,
Jeff had a really nice day today and I wanted to update folks. He's had some issues with his gall bladder recently and ended up having it removed on Tuesday. I know that doesn't sound like "good news" but he is recoverying from the surgery really well and actually had a physical therapy session today, less than 48 hours from the procedure. From what I saw today, he isn't showing any of the "set-back" that he's gone through with previous problems, which is a huge positive.

The big news is that Jeff has speech therapy once a day and during these sessions he gets, basically, a cognitive test to test his memory, logic, etc. He's been stuck at a certain level for a number of months but in this morning's test, his scores went up dramatically. His speech therapist was practically getting choked up telling Jeff's mom and me about it earlier today. This is huge news as it means that a bunch of additional switches in his brain basically clicked on.

I know they are clicking on because we webcasted the consecration brew this past Saturday and then I went in and saw him on Monday.

"hey... So you watched us make all of that beer huh?
"yeah"
"ya think we made enough with the 120 gallons"
"yeah"
"do you remember what kind of beer it was?"
"a group brew"
"yeah, but what kind of beer?"
"consecration"

These aren't answers he would have come out with even a few weeks ago so hopefully he is starting to break through and is going to start making some bigger leaps in progress.

Lastly..... THANK YOU again to the folks that sent pictures. The little "movie" that was put together was a hit so if anyone has any other pictures of club events or even just good pictures of club members, I'll put another slideshow together and get it to him. The more familiar faces he can lay eyes on, the better.... Especially now that he seems to be making strides.

Great News! I am glad he is recovered from surgery so quickly and that he had a breakthrough! Keep it up Jeff, and remember what the esteemed Dr. Leo Marvin stressed... baby steps. :) Push through the resistance Babs.

I heard about the gall blader thing through facebook. Had no idea about the great therapy session he had. It's heartening to hear. Tell'em to keep up the good work.

Jeff had a great day today. In OT they had him building shapes out of plastic pipes. They'd show him a picture and he would build the shape. He did pretty well. They had him spelling words with some letter tiles. And the highlight of the day, they put Jeff in a harness and had him on the walking machine. Supported by the harness he was doing great job walking, putting one foot in front of the other.

He doesn't seem to have any after effects from the gall bladder surgery and is much more alert now that they've discontinued the pain killers they started giving him after the surgery. But he is fighting yet another infection, although it doesn't seem to bee holding him back much.

Overall he's making good progress lately. His short term memory is improving as are his gross and fine motor skills. He's still got a long way to go, but at least for the moment, things are looking a little brighter.

Please keep Jeff in your thoughts and prayers. He still needs all our support.

Jeff's niece set up this Facebook page back when the insurance companies were giving Jeff a hard time. The family updates it with news about Jeff and you'll find comments from friends, family and folks just concerned about Jeff.

This [ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1549025425752"]slideshow video[/ame] was recently posted. This video was shown during Jeff's big fundraiser back in December. It gives a little insight into the father, husband, family man and friend that Jeff is.

Jeff's been making some big improvements lately.

Here;s a quick video of Jeff. His wife handed him the pole and he knew exactly what to do.

[ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1714027606293[/ame]

I got a text from his wife today. Jeff called her to tell her that the Bruins won last night , 2-0.

It's a great day. Have a great weekend all.

Frank

Fantastic news!...Thanks for sharing, Frank

:mug: Here's to continued improvement. :mug:

Frickin fantastic news indeed! watching him doing a little fishing is a great sight!

Keep up the great work Jeff! (or sandbag it a little, you know... to get in some more fishin' :D)

That's a great article. Thanks for sharing, and keep telling him and his family that there are more people pulling for him than they can possibly imagine.

F-Dub (frankw) and I just got a video from Jeff's SWMBO... it is Jeff taking six steps in the hallway of the hospital with the use of a walker and two nurses just keeping him steady.

That's a HUGE improvement!

I went to see him last Thursday and he could only muster two half-steps with a lot of help.

I'm not a religious man but I'm praying he keeps making big leaps in his rehab. The video was amazing to see.

Gotta see this: [ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1744321843630"]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1744321843630[/ame]

I had an awesome visit with Jeff today.

I got there and his wife and son were there. Jeff was assembling a little NASCAR car. His son made me do one too. Between my sausage fingers and my old man eyes, it wasn't easy. Jeff was doing better than me. After a little bit his wife mentioned that they had some cards. I busted them out and started playing poker with Jeff. He knew exactly what to do., no hesitation, no confusion. Mind you, I'm pretty sure he hasn't played any poker since he got sick. After a few hands, I shuffled the cards and handed them to him. He dealt out 5 cards each. His wife and I just looked at each other and smiled. The rest of the hands, I shuffled and he dealt. We played for about a half an hour, he kicked my ass.

This afternoon at PT he walked 170 feet, rested for a few minutes. Then he walked 130 feet then rested. He followed that up with 20 minutes on the recumbent bike with resistance set at 8 out of 10.

He's still having trouble finding the right words and gets frustrated by it. Like, he couldn't always name the correct cards, but while playing, he knew which cards to hold and which to discard. With continued speech therapy, this is something he should be able to overcome.

Anyway, if you're local, please try to get over to see him. Visiting hours are pretty relaxed. Basically they end at 8:00pm.

Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers.

It's been quite a while since we updated folks on our boy Babalu.

He continues to make very slow progress but at least it is progress. He is now in an in-patient neurological rehab center that, fortunately, is right around the corner from his house and he continues to make huge strides physically. He is now able to stand himself up out of a bed or chair and walk fairly easily with the help of a walker and can walk quite a bit without one.

Hi wife tends to keep a hand on the small of his back just in case he gets a bit off balance but he's doing all of the work.

We had him and the family over for dinner and the Pats game last night and he devoured two plates for dinner, perfectly using a knife and fork the entire time. So... again... the physical control, strength and dexterity are all coming back which is awesome.

The on the cognitive side, he still continues to struggle with his speech and memory. He still shows flashes of his old personality but you can tell he gets very frustrated with his situation when he either 1) can't remember things he knows he should remember or 2) he can't get the words out of his mouth.

He's made enough progress though that, over the next month or so, he will be coming off some of the last meds he's been on. We are hoping that he is also going to be out of the in-patient care place within the next couple of weeks with therapists coming to his home to continue his treatment.

It's been just over a year now since he got sick.

Lastly, I wanted to say thank you again to the folks that sent donations. It was amazing what folks from the brewing community did for him and his family. As a few of us had mentioned a while ago... He's a great guy with an even greater family and any donations (either financial or in prayers/good thoughts) were put to extremely good use and were immensely appreciated.

He is still fighting like hell but he still has a long way to go.

Trust me, we're all REALLY looking forward to doing a "brew-cast" with him some time soon. We gotta get him back in the saddle!

Back