B2B Electric HERMS Brewing: How many pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
I put together an eHERMS system based on Kal's design and have done back to back batches on my last two brew days. I'm pretty much sold on doing back to back batches, except that I'm currently using two pumps (110v chuggers) and I'm having to stop the recirculation in the mash tun while I whirlpool, chill and transfer the wort out of the BK. That's really reducing the efficiency (as far as time is concerned) of doing back to back batches.

I'm planning to add a third pump soon, but figured I'd ask other B2B eHERMS brewers how they're doing it and if there is a way to keep everything moving using only two pumps?

Here's a pic of my panel...just for something to look at after you're done reading my post.

DSC_0115.jpg

So I'm assuming I'm correct that in order to truly do B2B you NEED 3 pumps.

I'll be ordering a third pump before my next brew day.

So I'm assuming I'm correct that in order to truly do B2B you NEED 3 pumps.

I'll be ordering a third pump before my next brew day.

I think the only way to do it with two would be to stop recirculating either the MLT or the HLT. But using the HLT pump, on the BK would introduce wort to what is normally a water only pump, at least on my system. Also a Kal clone, but only a 30A.

With three you would have a pump dedicated to each vessel. I like that idea and when/if i upgrade to 50A for B2B i think adding a third pump is a good idea. Maybe even hard plumbing them in with a few three way valves too.

I don't specify where the valves are in this drawing but I will be using a couple three-way valves, and ball valves where needed to isolate on line from another.

But yeah, one pump per vessel.

three_pumps.jpg

Yeah three would make it easier. if you want to stick with two, then while you're whirlpooling you can not recirc but just periodically stir your HLT to avoid stratification.

Yeah three would make it easier. if you want to stick with two, then while you're whirlpooling you can not recirc but just periodically stir your HLT to avoid stratification.

That's pretty much what I've done, except I haven't stirred. Once I'm done transferring to the fermentor for the first batch I do a mash out. I bring my HLT to my mash out temp while I'm using the second pump for the BK.

Back