Awoke to IPA krausen on the ceiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty22

Reaction score
So I know this is a big giant "Hey I'm fermenting!" sign. Here's the deal though. I don't like using blow-off hoses cause it just seems unsanitary to me. Should I be ok if I just clean out the airlock, resanitize, and replace it on the carboy?

sure. how many times do you want to clean it though? even blow off hoses should be "sanitary" as in clean and sanitized on the end near your beer. The pressure is outward, so the end sitting in water is not as critical. However, many of us sanitize the other end as well, and throw a few shots of vodka in the water...

That would be fine. Just add some sanitary foil or something over the top while you wash, sanitize, and replace the airlock, but as Hang Glider said, at least for the first few days during heavy fermentation, blow off is the way to go so it doesn't keep happening.

Got one end sitting in an open tub of water. Just seems like bacteria can get into that water tub really easily and then travel up the tube.

Got one end sitting in an open tub of water. Just seems like bacteria can get into that water tub really easily and then travel up the tube.

What do you put in your airlock to make it more sanitary? Vodka? Sanitizer? Can't you put the same liquid at the end of the blow off tube? You don't need quarts of the stuff, just enough to cover the end of the tube.

What stops the same thing happening in a three-piece airlock? The only barrier to the "outside world" is the water you put in it. However, I would suggest you use a sanitizer solution in either the airlock or the blow-off tube whichever one you decide to use.

What stops the same thing happening in a three-piece airlock? The only barrier to the "outside world" is the water you put in it. However, I would suggest you use a sanitizer solution in either the airlock or the blow-off tube whichever one you decide to use.

or vodka. problem solved!

I have a blowoff on the lager i'm brewing right now. Piece of vinyl tube goes into a standard bung, the other end goes into a 500ml PET bottle half filled with a sulfite solution. The entire thing is santitized inside and out just as if i were using it to bottle beer.

Again, pressure dictates the flow is one way, and the sulfite solution shouldn't allow bacteria to thrive anyways.

how is a blow off tube not sanitary if you sanitize it and have the other end in a solution of sanitizer? I use a blow-off tube every time, I've learned my lesson the hard way

Got up this morn and my Hefe was going BLUB...BLUB. BLUB BLUB. I use a three inch piece of stainless 3/8 OD fits in where the air lock goes with 3/8 ID siphon hose in the jug of one step solution. Never a mess to clean. Switch to an air lock after 2-3 weeks. Cheers;)

Fermenting an IPA right now. Good thing I had the blow off tube on or there would have been major issues. As it is, I have about a quarter inch of yeast in the bottom of the Starsan (poor little guys gave their lives for me) and had krausen 3/4 of the way down the 1" tube. Most vigorous fermentation to date. Every thing is TOTALLY sanitized by soaking in Starsan. No multiple cleanings of airlocks (PITA) or the area around the fermentor should there be excessive blow off. What is not to like?

OP - you're doing it wrong.....Where's the pictures of the ceiling?

Back