Awesome presentation/technique - world of new ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Last night I went to a favorite local place and they did a dish that was called the "Compact Turkey Dinner." It was amazing. It was roasted turkey, chopped kind of chunky, and mixed with herby stuffing and cheesy mashed potatoes. It was then all combined into a baseball-sized ball, battered, and then (I assume) quickly fried so it had a brown crispy crust. Three balls of awesome were then presented on a plate slathered in tasty gravy.

That got me thinking - what else could be balled up, battered and fried? Smoked pork, sweet corn, and mashed potatoes? Cod, potato pancake, and slaw? Chicken, wild rice, and root veggies? Any ideas?

Not smoked meat , but fits the bill otherwise.

My family prepares "sauerkraut balls". In a single bite you get to eat a german sausage & sauerkraut platter (though addition of spicy sausage is better in my opinion). This is my absolute favorite Christmas Eve dish.

And I love your ideas for new fried "balls".

Creamy's beet loaf! :eek:
Maybe diced ham, scrambled eggs & shredded taters (hashbrowns).
Or how about a deep fried baseball sized calzone?
P,B & J?
Nancy Pelosi? :D
Regards, GF.

Not smoked meat , but fits the bill otherwise.

My family prepares "sauerkraut balls". In a single bite you get to eat a german sausage & sauerkraut platter (though addition of spicy sausage is better in my opinion). This is my absolute favorite Christmas Eve dish.

And I love your ideas for new fried "balls".

Could be done with smoked meat... With the right filler.

Pulled pork and cheddar stuffed hot peppers battered and deep fried. A spin on abt's

owner of a local brewery (Vintage 50) opened a taphouse (The V Eatery and Brewhouse. was supposed to be a brewhouse, but that plan was scrapped, don't know why). your pork abts reminds me of the Kansas City Skins on the menu at the V

they are tasty and delicious. way overpriced. I only had them because they had the brewfest volunteer orientation meeting there and offered free appetizers.

Capture.jpg

Heck, for those who like slaw on their BBQ sammiches BBQ (NC style) and slaw balls battered and quickly fried. Maybe a touch of cheese.

A dollop of cream cheese, wrapped in salmon, mashed potatoes packed around (like you would for a Scotch egg) & maybe rolled in bread crumbs before deep frying.

Pickled herring, a slice of beet, a green onion (blanched just long enough to make it pliable), tie the beet to the herring with the onion, coat with dilled potatoes & either roll in bread crumbs or dip in beer batter & deep fry.

Chunk of Swiss cheese & a few french fries, a forkfull of (drained) sauerkraut, wrapped in a slice or 2 of corned beef, wrapped in rye bread dough (rolled thin) & then either deep fried or maybe baked; or maybe rolled in rye crisp cracker crumbs instead of the bread dough...
It's the "compact Reuben sandwich." For those who actually like the 1,000 island dressing, either put a dollop inside, or serve on the side.
I'm liking this idea!
Regards, GF.

Chorizo, Spanish rice and tomatoes? Maybe jalapeños, onions, and poblano?

Pour a bit of waffle batter into the waffle iron, lay a slice of chicken (coldcuts) on top & pour the rest of the waffle batter on & close the waffle iron, cook as usual.
An interesting spin on chicken & waffles.

Or maybe just using waffle batter (might have to thicken it a bit) to batter the chicken & then deep fry it.
This is fun!
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back