Awesome hop bonus!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauer

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago my buddy finally decided to get into homebrewing so me being a good friend I offered to take him to the LHBS and pick out everything he needed and help him brew his first batch. I had planned on starting him on the brewers best IPA but when we got there I noticed the store started carrying a brew craft kits. They had a dry hopped west coast IPA that looked awesome so we got that. His kit came with
1oz columubs leaf hops
1oz chinook pellets
1oz cascade pellets
2oz nugget pellets

The instructions said to blend them together and add 1oz for bittering, 2oz for flavor, 1oz aroma and the final oz for dry hopping. The kit was a lot of fun to brew and the sample we tried was awesome so after a few weeks of thinking about it I decided I would like to brew this for myself. So I went and picked up a kit for myself today and when I got home and was unpacking it I realized there wasn't any leaf hops in mine. I thought oh well they will be easier to blend this way. I went to put all the hops in the freezer since I won't brew it right away and realized it seemed like a lot of hops. I started laying them all out on the counter and seperate them based on the type. Here is what I got
2oz centennial pellets
2oz nugget pellets
1oz chinook pellets
1oz columbus pellets
1oz cascade pellets

I checked the directions and it said I should only have one ounce of each. So I got an extra ounce of centennial and nugget. Awesome! More hops! I was thinking of still blending all of the hops together, proceding with the hop schedule as normal and dry hopping with the 3 oz of leftover hops instead of just one. Anybody see a problem with that? Will the extra centennial and nugget overpower the others? Or just make the beer more awesome?

I would proceed as planned. If you do not add an extra ounce at flame out then dry hop with the rest.

Thanks. Yeah that thought crossed my mind too. The more I think about it I'm starting to think maybe I will do 2oz for aroma and 2oz for dry hop.

I'm pretty excited for this brew. It came with US-05 dry yeast and I decided to swap it with WLP001. Also since I have started doing partial mashes I picked up 3 pounds of 2 row to substitute for 1.8 pounds of the DME. I figured I can keep the Extra DME for starters and stuff.

Has anybody else brewed brewcraft kits?

Back