Avoiding the Exploding Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAnimator

Reaction score
I've only brewed a half dozen or so batches, but am looking to start 3 more very soon. One extract kit I'd like to try is a Belgian (double or triple). I have read several comments about exploding bottles due to the high carbonation and how to minimize this from happening.

One thing I've heard is to make sure your final gravity is where it should be before bottling. That should be easy enough as I'm planning on allowing a good, long secondary sit and will be sure to monitor the FG numbers.

The other has to do with the types of bottles to use. I'm really kind of confused with various opinions I've heard. On this board, I've read that I should use "Belgian" bottles. My LHBS, states that larger bottles, like growlers, are not good and that a standard 12oz bottle is fine.

I'd like to use 12oz and maybe 22oz bottles that I've collected either from my LHBS, or from old Sammies, but I don't want to hand out bombs either.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator

I have never had an issue using 12oz or 22oz bottles for Belgian beers. As you already mentioned, make sure your FG gravity has been reached, and don't over prime.

If you are looking for "Belgian Bottles" I bought these for an Oud Bruin I wanted to bottle with a little different look. Yes these are far heavier.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/bottling/bottles/beer-bottles-16-oz.html

You could buy those same bottle filled with beer for about the same price. That's the thing I've never understood about bottle pricing.

Back