Aventinus clone on top of yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for it! I'm sure there will be others who wouldnt do it, but I think in this case, the aventinus clone will appreciate the extra yeast.

I would pull off the yeast, wash it, and try to pitch the apropriate amount of yeast. Pitching on that cake will be over pitching. One reported result of over pitching is a reduction in esters, which is not what you want for a weizen bock.

Try this for the correct pitching amounts:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I'm pretty much giving up on this.Instead I'll just get new yeast and a starter.Perhaps I'll wash that one for next time....

aventinus is a big beer.... much higher than 1040 which is why i would encourage it, says the 7 bucks on new yeast.

aventinus is a big beer.... much higher than 1040 which is why i would encourage it, says the 7 bucks on new yeast.

^this. there are a few reasons to pitch on a cake. high og is one of them. BUT, I would suggest just getting a big dirty glass of the cake before you clean it out. leave about half a finger of beer and then shake like heck. when you have a slush of beer and yeast cake, pour about 2 cups(more or less, depending on what recipe) into the wort. then profit :)

^this. there are a few reasons to pitch on a cake. high og is one of them. BUT, I would suggest just getting a big dirty glass of the cake before you clean it out. leave about half a finger of beer and then shake like heck. when you have a slush of beer and yeast cake, pour about 2 cups(more or less, depending on what recipe) into the wort. then profit :)

Yeah,those are the reasons why I wanted to,but since I'm gonna spend the bucks on all those ingredients,I rather just try to wash the yeast for another time.Then profit :)

Back