Autumn recipes other than pumpkin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnshop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My pumpkin beer is in the fermenter bubbling away and I'm looking for another fall style beer to brew. I intend to do a stout and I have a dubbel bottled already.
I was thinking something cinnamon apple-y? Maybe with a saison yeast?
I would like to do something distinctly fall, just not with pumpkin since I've already got that going.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Well, I've done version 3 of my whiskely stout, " Queen Anne's Revenge, with version 4 already written. I also like to do a vanilla robust porter, " Snowbound Porter". I've also written a Burton barleywine recipe. ESB's have that nice fall color to them, with a nice malty/ English hoppy thing going for them.

My favorite Autumn/Fall beers are Harvest Ales... Wet/fresh hopped IPAs that taste like you picked a hop off the vine and took a bite! :D

Or a big malty brown ale.

These are all good ideas. I'm not sure I would go the cider route though. Once I saw the cider recommendations I realized maybe apple isnt a flavour to shoot for (not a big cider fan).

i found this recipe for an oatmeal raison cookie brown ale which seems like an idea I can get behind: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=508155
I'm not too sure about the recipe it doesn't seem like many people have brewed this one. Does anyone know of any proven recipes along the lines of this one?

My favorite Autumn/Fall beers are Harvest Ales... Wet/fresh hopped IPAs that taste like you picked a hop off the vine and took a bite! :D

I LOVE harvest ales. I'm not too sure really where/how to get my hands on those wet hops though. If I were to go this route though, do you have a specific recipe you can recommend?

I LOVE harvest ales. I'm not too sure really where/how to get my hands on those wet hops though. If I were to go this route though, do you have a specific recipe you can recommend?

My favorites are Founder's Harvest Ale and 3Floyd's Broodoo. I do not know the specific recipe of either of these, but if you find a clone that'd help. I couldn't find one when I looked..someone suggested the hops used in Founder's were about 80% Simcoe and 20% Cascade, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I would imagine the grain bill would be pretty straight forward for an American IPA. You need more wet hops than dry for the same effect, as the wet hops have water weight added to it. I don't know the ratio for wet to dry.

To me, nothing says "fall" like Oktoberfest. I love those at that time of year. A quick one can be ready in less than a month, and really enjoyable during fall football games.

I don't like "flavored" beers, though, so I wouldn't do a pumpkin beer or other beers like that- they don't taste like beer at that point.

In addition to Oktoberfests, my favorite fall beers are Dunkelweizen, ESB and good old American Amber.

+1 for Ambers and Octoberfests.

I also intend to do Gavin's Altbier when my fermenter frees up (I had more demand for BM's Blonde).

Alt, Vienna lager, and pumpkin ales round out my fall beer plan. All are big on flavor, but not yet big on ABV. Save those for the cold, cold nights in Minny.

Some sort of bock. Or a Belgian ale. If you had time to age.

A brown or red ale would be good. I'm thinking I might make some sort of rye beer.

Every fall I brew a Belgain Dubble with maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Took third place in the first competition I ever entered!

Back