Autolysis in 100% Barrel Fermented RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger988

Reaction score
Planning to fill a Jack Barrel (yes a full size Jack Daniel's Barrel) with an ~1.100 RIS. I'd like to ferment it in the barrel 100% with 1968 (ESB) and age for 9-12 months. How can I pull this off without autolysis from sitting on the yeast so long?

Planning to fill a Jack Barrel (yes a full size Jack Daniel's Barrel) with an ~1.100 RIS. I'd like to ferment it in the barrel 100% with 1968 (ESB) and age for 9-12 months. How can I pull this off without autolysis from sitting on the yeast so long?

using 2 barrels would be the easiest, but who has 2 jack barrels?

using 2 barrels would be the easiest, but who has 2 jack barrels?

Funny story.... I do. Problem is the other has been used to make cider (two runs) and was left open for a while (questionable sanitation IOW.) So I'm hesitant to use it for a clean beer (especially an expensive one like a 1.100 RIS.)

Do you have a tank you could do 1 or a
Few closed transfers into? You could primary, rack out temporarily, rinse then rerack to the barrel.

Just don't ferment in the barrel. Split it into carboys or 1/2 barrel kegs. Hell, ferment in the kettle.

Do you have a tank you could do 1 or a
Few closed transfers into? You could primary, rack out temporarily, rinse then rerack to the barrel.

I don't really, guess I could work on that.

Just don't ferment in the barrel.

So, to 100% barrel ferment a beer your recommendation is to ..... not ferment in the barrel? Thanks. :D

What exactly are you trying to achieve with 100% barrel fermented?

As stupid as it sounds... being able to say I did.

In addition to that, I'm trying to avoid moving the beer several times between several different vessels since the barrel is the only thing I have large enough to ferment ~55g in. (Don't want to ferment in ~11 buckets and then blend in a barrel, feel like that's just asking for trouble.)

Latest posts

Back