Autolysis...BUSTED!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, tell us more about the rubbery brews. How long in primary, temperature, etc?

Two batches, both brewed on 3/9/08. Fermented and sat around in my dining room which was generally in the 70's (the temperature, not the decade).

Kegged on 6/14/08, so that makes just over three months on the yeast. Damn, I'm lazy.

Anyway, they both have the same off flavor, albeit with slight differences. One is a pale ale, and there is a definite dry, black rubberyness with a hint of sulphur to the taste. The hop bitterness seems harsher, and the aftertaste is where it really gets you. The second, a cream stout, has the same off flavor, but it's a bit more intense and has an acrid element to it.

Both were stored in their kegs in my basement over the course of a year. I put the pale ale in the freezer this past spring, and the taste was still just as awful as the day I kegged it. After several weeks, it mellowed a tiny bit, but it is still very present. I haven't even tried the stout since I know (yeah, yeah...) it's going to taste awful. I will chill it and taste it before I dump it, but the pale ale is definitely going down the sink. :mad:

Lesson learned. Steve, don't be lazy. Don't be lazy, Steve. Don't be lazy.

-Steve

yeah I don't think we should ever say something is impossible to get. Just in some cases very hard and the conditions have to be just right. I age all my beers at least a month in the primary.
Like HSA, it's a boogeyman of homebrewing, but if I tried really hard, I bet I could produce a beer with HSA.... but probably not without trying to do so. That said, I don't ever get a feces taste in my beer either, but if I took a **** in it....

ok, nuff beer and typing.

I left an Irish Red ale in the primary (Wyeast 1084) for 9 months.

It turned out kind of flavorless except for a bready, slightly stale note. No meaty flavor.

What I think the OP meant was that the chances of autolysis are probably very small even in longer aged beers. There are still books out there saying that you should not leave beer in primary for more than a few weeks and most of us know that that is pretty much bunk.

He even admitted he was just a little bit stoked because he was expecting it and didn't get it.

I experienced autolysis recently, at least I think that's what it was. I was reculturing some yeast from a Franziskaner weizen and left it in the laundry room, which heats up because of the washer and drier. I forgot about it for a month or two. Man that thing was rank when I went to tip it out recently, terrible terrible smell.

Back