auto syphon creates constant little bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
hey guys,
I use a autosyphon to keg my beer. However, it creates constant little bubbles from not having a good seal, even though its brand new. And I know you dont want to add air to the beer, right? So, have any of you had this problem? and what did you do about it.
thanks

Where are the bubbles being generated from? Mine never sealed well where the hose meets the racking cane so I started using a hose clamp on it and the problem went away.

its coming from the seal that slides up and down with the little plastic tube where it meets the big tube. I want to know if this is normal and if its a problem? If it is maby Ill just poor some beer down the big tube that way it will suck more beer through the leak.
thanks

Mine does this too, but I don't worry too much about it and I haven't noticed any oxidation as a result. Sometimes I can get it to stop by gently rattling the Autosiphon against the mouth of the carboy.

Try backing the inner tube up very slightly after the siphon starts. I noticed something similar, and it seems to only happen when the inner tube is bottomed out on the trub protector thing.

I made this stop by removing the siphon tubing after every use. If you store the siphon with the tube on it the siphon tubing expands and allows a small amount of air in at the point where the tubing meets the inner racking cane. This is how i made it stop, but be careful because i broke the racking cane on mine by trying to get the tubing off and then broke my old racking cane a day later doing the same thing.

psi3000 said:
hey guys,
I use a autosyphon to keg my beer. However, it creates constant little bubbles from not having a good seal, even though its brand new. And I know you dont want to add air to the beer, right? So, have any of you had this problem? and what did you do about it.
thanks

You bet! I couldn't stop the leaks, even with all of the suggestions above, so, i bought a new one. It leaked too. What's more, the little check valve thingy (really neat contamination home) broke and got sucked into the outer tube. I gave up and started syphoning using a hood type cover and sterile filter. Put the Racking cane in, give a little puff of CO2, and there she goes. IMHO, much better. :)

If you are seeing the bubbles when you rack to secondary or to a keg, it may simply be some CO2 coming out of solution due to the decrease in pressure during the siphon. Siphoning creates some negative pressure which will cause gases to come out of solution. Even though there is an airlock present to prevent any pressure build up, you still will get some dissolved CO2 in your beer during fermentation.

only bubble i get is right at the hose/cane connection point. All i have to do is pinch the hose for 1 second, about an inch past this connection, to burp the trapped gas.

never had it pull air from the seal inside at the bottom of the racking cane though.

I had this problem again yesterday when racking a pumpkin ale to secondary. I was having a hell of a time getting the bubbles to stop. I finally gave it a couple of additional "pumps" and it stopped completely. Don't know what to attribute that to, but try it next time and see if it helps.

I came up with a solution. Poor some beer into the TOP of the tub. This way there is no air for the seal to suck up, only more beer! Simple yet very effective. Just use something clean.

Back