Austin, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Pistolero said:
So after 7 or 8 hours, how do you hang in there for the clean-up. :( I usually bale, and risk the wrath of SWMBO. :D

That's why I brew on Saturday's. I leave the clean up for Sunday.

I brew in my garage...cause after two boil-overs SWMBO said so.
My garage is mine..no one elses.. and I can sleep there to if I have to. :D

Sudster said:
I brew in my garage...cause after two boil-overs SWMBO said so.
My garage is mine..no one elses.. and I can sleep there to if I have to. :D
For some reason I find those words to be both comforting and hilarious. :cool:

Damn, I just broke another hydrometer. WTF. I was just getting ready to take a reading of this wee-heavy and I dropped the damn thing. Jeeezzus-H-Cremminey.. MindFlux made a special trip on his way over to pick the damn thing up and I just dropped it.Arrrrrrrrgggggggg!!!!!

Did ya know they only bounce once? Crapola!!!

Somebody come and kick my ass.

Sudster said:
Damn, I just broke another hydrometer. WTF. I was just getting ready to take a reading of this wee-heavy and I dropped the damn thing. Jeeezzus-H-Cremminey.. MindFlux made a special trip on his way over to pick the damn thing up and I just dropped it.Arrrrrrrrgggggggg!!!!!

Did ya know they only bounce once? Crapola!!!

Somebody come and kick my ass.
I'd be glad to come over with my spare, but you'll have already pitched by the time I got there, no doubt. :(

El Pistolero said:
A sit-in...we're having a sit in? I feel young again. :drunk:

Yeah, apparently so, Were gonna have to drive to Ill.

Bill , just how big is that porch? EL. P. , do you snore?

A "walk-out" is where you walk out the door and you're on the ground level. No stairs, just patio and yard. The deck is actually on the second floor.

I have 2 couches in the basement, a 65" HDTV :D and a German Eckbank (corner bench with table and extra chairs)...that's one huge room. There are 5 more rooms down there if you include the bathroom and 2 storage rooms (I have one for my fridge and beer supplies).

We actually spend most of our time (except for the "occasional" napping before bedtime) downstairs. When we have 20+ people over everyone is downstairs.

My house is over 2800 SF and I pay taxes on over 2 acres. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
A "walk-out" is where you walk out the door and you're on the ground level. No stairs, just patio and yard. The deck is actually on the second floor.

I have 2 couches in the basement, a 65" HDTV :D and a German Eckbank (corner bench with table and extra chairs)...that's one huge room. There are 5 more rooms down there if you include the bathroom and 2 storage rooms (I have one for my fridge and beer supplies).

We actually spend most of our time (except for the "occasional" napping before bedtime) downstairs. When we have 20+ people over everyone is downstairs.

My house is over 2800 SF and I pay taxes on over 2 acres. :D

Wow Man, sounds like an awesome place...except for the tax thing.:D

DeRoux's Broux said:
c'mon, c'mon. any good/bad brews?????????????????/

We haven't been there yet...SA/Austin is this weekend.

I'm still working at Ft. Hood. I can't believe they closed the place down this afternoon because of the icy rain.

I am drinking a Fat Tire Amber Ale at the moment...nice biscuit flavor. Something I'm not used to, but can enjoy for a bit. A nice body.

I have a 2-3 Shiner Bocks left upstairs also. They're OK. I don't care what the advertisement says on the bottle, it might have come from a Bavarian Bock recipe, but it DOES NOT taste like a German Bock. :(

Sudster: I like the place too! I've put a lot of sweat into it, but there's more to go. After I finish the bathrooms and redecorate my kitchen I need to seriously think about tiling the basement floor. The village plumber used to date the owners daughter. He asked about buying the place from her. She said 240K. We returned from Germany when I first noticed it, but it was more than I was willing to spend. When she dropped down to 150 I started to seriously think about it. (Houses don't usually sell for that much in this area). With all the work etc, I offered 130, she countered for 138 and accepted. That's the short story. We've put a lot of sweat into it which saved us a lot of $$$. It's not where we want it yet, but I have been on the road (this makes) 21 weeks this year (next week is week 22, but then I'm on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks). I want to finish the master bathroom before Christmas and the brew kitchen after.

Next years travel should be more relaxed, but I was just told yesterday about Ft Bliss/El Paso in Feb for 2 weeks...anyone brew out in El Paso way? :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Sudster: I like the place too! I've put a lot of sweat into it, but there's more to go. After I finish the bathrooms and redecorate my kitchen I need to seriously think about tiling the basement floor.

Not sure if you are an experienced tiler but if you need any help let me know I've done quite a few tile jobs and can answer questions. Did a job this week in San Antonio for this turn of the century mansion. Did the backsplash of an entire kitchen with 1"x1" tiles. Turned out beautiful but was a pain because they had 8 power outlets they just put in. She paid over $600 for the tiles alone. The craftsmanship of houses built then is just amazing.

shiner is definitely nothiing like a german bock. actuallly none of their beers come close to what they say they are. that said, the bock is still a good beer, just not to style. much lighter...less malty...

doh! thought it was this past weekend.
Shiner helped get craft beer demands up in Texas as far as I'm concerned. in the not so distant past we had either budmilcoors, or shiner bock. we chose the bock! i like the blonde too. but, are still not traditional german beers.

Shiner's Hefe Weizen is fairly tasty. It's not a top notch weizen but def. it's not the worst.

TxBrew said:
Shiner's Hefe Weizen is fairly tasty. It's not a top notch weizen but def. it's not the worst.
Hey TxBrew, have you tried their Dunkelweizen? Is it just me, or does this taste more like a lager than a weizen?

yes i give huge props to shiner for getting people drinking a type of beer i'm sure alot of people had never heard of. back in the day i'm sure many non-german texans had never heard of a bock. i also give them props for keeping it cheap and continually coming out with new beers. and even though its not to style, i grew up drinking shiner instead of the crap most people drink when theyre teenagers and i love spoetzl for allowing me that freedom. when i eat bbq its hard for me to drink anything other than shiner.

El Pistolero said:
Hey TxBrew, have you tried their Dunkelweizen? Is it just me, or does this taste more like a lager than a weizen?

Oddly I haven't tried that. Guess I'm trying a new brew out tonight!

drengel said:
and even though its not to style, i grew up drinking shiner instead of the crap most people drink when theyre teenagers and i love spoetzl for allowing me that freedom. when i eat bbq its hard for me to drink anything other than shiner.
ahmen brother! the good ol' day's of a Shiner keg party at my brother's when he was at A&M. does go so well with that Hill Country style sausage and brisket...... :drunk: i cut my beer teeth on it :D good times, good times....

Mindflux/Sudster: OK. We're heading south today. I'm not sure if we're going to make it to Fredericksburg...maybe...I haven't started the car yet... :confused:

We're staying o/n in San Antonio and will be in Austin on Sunday. How about sometime around or after lunch?

I'll call you / you call me.

I'll PM you just before leaving...like now. :D

my wife and i will be in Fredericksburg next weekend, staying at the brewery if anyone wants to meet for a brew or 12? we're going to try and hit Real Ale's new place too......

drengel said:
shiner is definitely nothiing like a german bock. actuallly none of their beers come close to what they say they are. that said, the bock is still a good beer, just not to style. much lighter...less malty...
I can't disagree with you. I think it is perhaps a case of German immigrants working with the ingredients/conditions they found in TX? Just guessing. AmerItalian food is nothing like anything I saw in Italy, but I'll stuff my gut on either version!

DeRoux's Broux said:
so HB 99, any beers you liked in the Austin vacinity?

Well, I met up with Mindflux and a few of his friends...first at the Draught House for lunch, but it doesn't open until 3 PM. We, me and my wife, were sitting outside waiting when a pick-up pulled up and parked. It was Josh, the brewer. We spoke for a couple of mins. About 10 mins later he came out with a couple of samples for me (my wife doesn't drink beer). The lighter brew was really good, but the porter was something to be desired...and I desired no more... :drunk:

Anywho...he recommended Billy's on Burnett for having a lot of beers on tap. We eventually found out way there and drank up a bunch of good brews. I can't remember which ones though. There were a lot that I didn't care for though. I'm glad they gave out samples first. I gave Mindflux a bottle of my Dim Wit (gingered wheat) to sample and a Bavarian Weizen glass that I purchased in Germany as well as about 30 beer coasters from Germany and the Czech Republic...Sudster...you missed out dude...I had the same gift for you, but you didn't show up.

We eventually made it back to the Draught House for several more rounds. I remember the smoked porter and I always drink German Hefe Weizens when possible, so I had a few of them too. Mindflux's friends had to leave so he stayed and drank with me for a couple more hours...I drove him over to his friends place so he could pick up his car, then I drove back to Temple. He had his digital camera and we had a couple of pics taken. Unfortunately, I dropped my camera near the Alamo the day prior. It took 3 pictures and decided to die permanently so I'm pictureless for once in my life...care to guess what I'm buying myself for Christmas? :D

Upon recommendations on this forum, I picked up some beers...a 6er of real Ale Pale Ale - too bitter for my taste; 3-6ers of St Arnold's Christmas Ale - not bad...will definitely share at Christmastime; and a 6er of Fat Tire - a definite Belgium style flavor (only 1 left).

We went downtown Austin on 6th St. looking for a BBQ place (name escapes me at the present) which we NEVER found even after we ask several people to include the police. We went over to the Gingerman on 4th and Guadelupe, but I refuse to pay for parking at an establishment you will be spending $$$ in so we never got out of our car.

All in all we had a good time. :D

hhhmmm? where you looking for Dan McKlusky's on 6th? it's a killer steak joint. or, maybe it was Stubb's BBQ. it's on a side street off 6th.

bummer on some of the brews. i figured you'd like the Real Ale Brewhouse Brown Ale, but maybe you didn't get one? hope you had some Live Oak too, they good.

glad the trip was worth it!

Latest posts

Back