ATTN: Minnesotans and others nearby!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
As an east coaster out here in Minnesota for the first time (work!) please recommend me some local brews to try while I'm in Chaska for the next month.

So far I've had drafts: Summit IPA/PA, New Belgium Fat Tire

Bottled: Just picked up a mixed pack 12 of Big Sky Brewery and a 22oz of New Belgium's 1554 "Enlightened Black Ale" which I'm sippin' on now and really enjoying.

The local liquor store seems to have a pretty decent selection of craft brews, So what are some must haves that I won't see on the east coast...

Got to get Surly Furious, they are in 16oz cans. I would recommend getting over to Town Hall brewery in minneapolis, its my favorite brewpub in the area. Also there is a specialty beer store called four firkins that will have all local craft brews you can get in the area. Besides the furious i cant think of any beers to recommend as I rarely buy beer.

Doubt you can get Dark horse there, but just maybe.. I like Bells Two Hearted as well, New Holland's Dragon's Milk is dah bomb too.

Michigan beers, but I believe they distribute some.

Was in Lake Minnetonka tonight, had Grainbelt Premium Lager. Wasn't super impressed, but not bad for a fizzy yellow brew. I did see Bell's at the liquor store, next time I'm back there I'm def picking up a 6 of two hearted. Still lookin out for Surly's...

That's funny, I work Chaska! There is a bar in Victoria called Floyd's that isn't too far from Chaska. They have Surly on tap. Furious is a great IPA, nice & hoppy! Schell's is one of the oldest family owned breweries in the US. Pretty much all of their beers are tasty. Definitely stop by the Town hall brewpub if you make it out to Minneapolis.

There are some newer MN breweries like Brau Brothers, Flat Earth, and Lift Bridge. Some of these can be hit or miss, but I like several of Flat Earth's beers. It's a brewery started by a guy who worked at both Town Hall and the Northern Brewer homebrew store.

Sippin' on a Bell's Two Hearted Ale. This is a delicious IPA, great balance. Still no luck on Surly's, although, I've only been to 2 different liquor stores. All the locals seem to drink a lot of Lienenkugel's, but after having their Sunset Wheat a few years ago I haven't bothered to try any of their other beers.

That's funny, I work Chaska! There is a bar in Victoria called Floyd's that isn't too far from Chaska. They have Surly on tap. Furious is a great IPA, nice & hoppy! Schell's is one of the oldest family owned breweries in the US. Pretty much all of their beers are tasty. Definitely stop by the Town hall brewpub if you make it out to Minneapolis.

There are some newer MN breweries like Brau Brothers, Flat Earth, and Lift Bridge. Some of these can be hit or miss, but I like several of Flat Earth's beers. It's a brewery started by a guy who worked at both Town Hall and the Northern Brewer homebrew store.

Chaska's been very nice so far, weather's been beautiful. I'm working at Hazeltine golf course, so the nice weather is a plus! My first time out here in MN. First time out in the midwest ever, a little different from Jersey to say the least. Tried to have a Schell's Hefeweizen last night at Maynard's on Lk. Minnetonka but the keg was kicked. Oh well, still have 3 weeks to try as many brews I can!

Just picked up a 12 Schell's sampler pack and a 22oz New Holland Dragon's Milk...enjoyin' the dragon's milk now. Most whiskey barrel aged brews i've had in the past I haven't been crazy about because the whisky flavor is too forward, Dragon's Milk is pretty smooth though.

Have you got over to Floyds yet? Hang a left on hiway 5 & head west five miles or so, you'll run right into it. I think you better try the Sury offerings, everybody raves. I've had one, it was a belgian style but i don't remember the name. Tasty though. You must be there for the tournament? Well, if you don't qualify I know a great minigolf course nearby, you gotta try it!

Have you got over to Floyds yet? Hang a left on hiway 5 & head west five miles or so, you'll run right into it. I think you better try the Sury offerings, everybody raves. I've had one, it was a belgian style but i don't remember the name. Tasty though. You must be there for the tournament? Well, if you don't qualify I know a great minigolf course nearby, you gotta try it!

Haven't been to Floyd's yet, but being so close I will def make a trip. Surly is all I've heard about and one of the only beers I haven't been able to find.

Yeah, I'm here for the tournament, but not attempting to qualify... I'm doing all the on site video distribution and some other av work. I imagine there's an overwhelming amount of people starting to come into to town for the event. The beer so far has been pretty decent, but still wishing I had some homebrew!

+1 to Surly and New Glarus! Also, Rush River is quite good. They have an Imperial IPA on tap in Minneapolis bars. Also their Porter is really nice.:mug:

Good call on Rush River, I saw them but I haven't picked any up yet. Will def keep that in mind for next trip to the store.

Had a Finnegan's "Amber Ale Brewed with Potatoes", appears to be a contract brew of Summit's. Nothing fantastic. They say they donate 100% profit to local charities, so can't feel terrible about trying this one.

Made it over to Floyd's, pretty sweet little spot. Missed the live music, and no Surly! But i did have a few Sierra's, always enjoyed! I'll probably head back there though it's a pretty cool spot.

Also picked up a 6 of Rush River's Bubblejack IPA today. Not bad, quality brew and enjoyable, but not nearly hopped enough. It pours and tastes like a pale ale, I had to double take the bottle after pouring it into a glass to see if It was the IPA or the PA I'd grabbed. I like it though!

If you can get to the border of Wisconsin try New Glarus.

Flat Earth in St. PAul and the TOwnHall Brewery in Minneapolis have really good beers.

Made it over to Floyd's, pretty sweet little spot. Missed the live music, and no Surly!

No Surly! That's too bad. I guess I haven't been there since this spring, but they used to have that on tap. You mentioned that you have been to Maynard's. It looks like the is a Haskell's liquor store right by there. They should have Surly.

Store Locations

It's the location in Excelsior.

Back