Attenuation issues? Check you thermometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosgcm5

Reaction score
I've got about 10 AG batches under my belt in the last 6 months or so, and am almost completely in tune with the intricacies of my system. I've been noticing however that many (all but one) of my beers have been finishing ever so slightly on the high side of FG. I don't really mind, it's only by 4 or 5 points each, and it's not overly sweet, but I recently made an IPA that I wanted really dry and didn't even come close.

I've been pitching really big starters, oxygenating with pure O2, and maintaining proper fermentation temps, but just couldn't figure out why I was finishing high every time.

I search some threads, and decide maybe my mash temps are too high, then decide to check my thermometer (using this helpful page). Turns out, this thermometer reads 5 degrees on the high side, meaning I've been mashing at 159 instead of 154!

Moral: I'll be checking my thermometer every couple of batches to make sure it's reading accurately.

PS- Anyone have a favorite digital thermometer they use? I like the probe style, but I'm willing to switch.

-Cheers
Cozzie

I had similar thermometer problems, I switched to a Thermapen. Do a search on here, they're quite popular though quite expensive.

They're also great for grilling. I bought it for brewing but I probably cook food on the grill five times for every one brew day, so it sees more use there.

I was off by 4 degrees as well, same direction. Found out after my first BIAB.

Elevation can have a significant effect on your boiling pt temps. See chart below:

Elev (ft) Boiling Pt (deg F)
0 212.0
500 211.1
1000 210.2
2000 208.4
2500 207.5
3000 206.6
3500 205.7
4000 204.8
4500 203.9
5000 203.0

Latest posts