Attention Wisconsin Brewers!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear. I've been following it periodically, and it's been sitting in the Rules committee for a couple of weeks now.

Bernie Brewer said:
Boy it would be really awesome if this was passed the same day that I win awesome stuff in the HBT Giveaway!!!!

:D

Ha forgot about that. Would be awesome but I've never won a raffle in my life so.......

Let's hope we're in the home stretch and this gets done and then signed by the Gov!

If you haven't contacted your representative already, please do so NOW!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jaz

Ah yes, but I saw on the news that they got around to passing a joint resolution to honor the guy who created the cheesehead.

Ah yes, but I saw on the news that they got around to passing a joint resolution to honor the guy who created the cheesehead.

Good lord...........it's no wonder Wisconsin, errr, I mean the US is so screwed up.......

Well, they never got to it yesterday. It is also showing two proposed amendments in the works. The first one (AA1) is total BS and substantially changes the wording of the bill. That one just needs to be shot down and go away. The second seems to just be clerical in nature. But, it would require a Senate reconciliation vote to finalize it.

My hope is that they just decide to pass it as is and get this thing done already...

Jaz

Well, this is disappointing. Per the website, the Assembly is not planning on convening again until 11AM, next Tuesday March 13th. This session is scheduled to end the following Thursday (the 16th).

They are not really in session that often, so why aren't they in session when they're scheduled to be in session?!? WTF are we paying these guys for?!?

Jaz

Oh c'mon. It's at least been entertaining. Recalls, wrestlemania in the courthouse, fleeing congressmen, corruption, angry teachers, people marrying tables. What more could you ask for from politics. :confused:

Oh c'mon. It's at least been entertaining. Recalls, wrestlemania in the courthouse, fleeing congressmen, corruption, angry teachers, people marrying tables. What more could you ask for from politics. :confused:

Makes Illinois look good. That's saying something.

But IL still has the distinction of having something like 4 out of the last 5 governors being convicted of engaging in some type of illegal activity while in office. (Or something like that.) I seem to remember that from when I lived there. Blago is in the news, but he was just the last in a long line, IIRC.

On a lighter note, as of yesterday, 12-12-12 is officially Aaron Rogers Day. Woohoo! :rolleyes:

But IL still has the distinction of having something like 4 out of the last 5 governors being convicted of engaging in some type of illegal activity while in office. (Or something like that.) I seem to remember that from when I lived there. Blago is in the news, but he was just the last in a long line, IIRC.

Oh yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous. And that's just scratching the surface. If you include municipal officials, appointees, etc...wow. Quite embarrassing actually, as a voter.

It's funny. I distinctly remember growing up my dad was talking about the whole situation one day. I think it was when the most recent gov at the time was being investigated for runnning some scam with truckers or unions or something. He said that the only good thing about all of the govs being arrested was that they probably forfeit their pensions.

JJL said:
He said that the only good thing about all of the govs being arrested was that they probably forfeit their pensions.

I want to say that this isn't even always true. How messed up is that?

Blago had $21,800 seized from his pension to pay fines (so essentially he didn't lose that part) and the rest is going to his wife and kids. So he doesn't get it, but it doesn't get returned to the taxpayers either.

I dont know if anyone saw or noticed this but Representatives Danou and Kaufert submitted 2 addenda to the SB395/AB521 on Tuesday.

It appears that they are just trying to tighten up wording and not overhaul anything. At least at first glance...

Here is the link:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/proposals/sb395

Just saw this at the bottom as well:

"Made a special order of business at 11:59 A.M. on 3-13-2012 pursuant to Assembly Resolution 22"

Does this mean that they are taking it up at this time on the 13th??

Just saw this at the bottom as well:

"Made a special order of business at 11:59 A.M. on 3-13-2012 pursuant to Assembly Resolution 22"

Does this mean that they are taking it up at this time on the 13th??

Someone mentioned this yesterday I think. The issue with the amendments regardless of what they do to the actual bill language, is that they could require that the bill be sent back to the Senate for another vote on the amended bill. Since they moved the vote to 3-13, requiring an additional vote from the senate would probably kill the bill for this year, I would think, because the legislature would be in recess until the fall.

I want to say that this isn't even always true. How messed up is that?

Blago had $21,800 seized from his pension to pay fines (so essentially he didn't lose that part) and the rest is going to his wife and kids. So he doesn't get it, but it doesn't get returned to the taxpayers either.

That really is unfortunate.

Someone mentioned this yesterday I think. The issue with the amendments regardless of what they do to the actual bill language, is that they could require that the bill be sent back to the Senate for another vote on the amended bill. Since they moved the vote to 3-13, requiring an additional vote from the senate would probably kill the bill for this year, I would think, because the legislature would be in recess until the fall.

The special order of business thing was pretty much required, or this thing was dead in the legislature. Snipped from some reference material...

"The rules committee or organization committee may recommend that a bill be made a “special order of business” and given priority over earlier bills. When large numbers of bills are being reported toward the end of a session only those given a high priority by the leadership will be scheduled for floor action. Those not scheduled die or, in procedural terms “fail to pass”. In the 1991 session 55 bills reported by the standing committees died in the senate or assembly rules committee, some because their companion bills had already passed or their provisions had been incorporated into another bill, such as the budget bill."

The amendments are truly unfortunate and would probably kill this bill for this session (as noted previously). Amendments were killed by the majority on the Senate side due to widespread support of the bill. We just need to hope that everyone contacted their reps and that it has priority to pass as it!

Time will tell!

Jaz

Well folks, I think we need some more help - RIGHT AWAY.

Despite being on the special order of business for Tuesday, it does not appear that any action was taken by the Assembly on SB395. I was trying to follow along at work and was not sure whether it was quick passed or not. But, there is no update on the bill's status page, so I can only assume it was bypassed. If someone knows differently, please post here.

The problem is this: The assembly is NOT meeting today and is scheduled to meet tomorrow (Thursday March 15th). However, this is the LAST DAY of this legislative session. They've adopted a special order of business for the day and SB395 IS NOT ON IT.

That does not mean that it can't be addressed. But, we need to contact our various representatives TODAY to ask them to make sure it gets put on the agenda.

I would truly hate for us to have gotten so far with this only to fail. So, please contact your Assemblyperson and ask them to have it put on the schedule for tomorrow!

Thanks.
Jaz

Surprisingly, I actually got letters back from my area's senator and representative, both stating their support for the original bill. I just e-mailed them both again, to encourage their support to vote on this before the recess.

I sent an email to Rep Thiesfeldt and his assistant just sent me this email back.. Sounds promising...

"I just called Rep. Kaufert's office to get the scoop. They are confident they will bring it up with a pulling motion but don't know if they will do it with an Amendment and send it back to the Senate or if they will just concur in the Senate version. No promises as anything can happen but Kaufert's office was confident something will get done tomorrow to send to the Governor.

I will make sure Rep. Thiesfeldt chimes in so we can build more consensus to pass that bill.

Sincerely,
Hariah Hutkowski
Legislative Assistant"

I sent an email to Rep Thiesfeldt and his assistant just sent me this email back.. Sounds promising...

"I just called Rep. Kaufert's office to get the scoop. They are confident they will bring it up with a pulling motion but don't know if they will do it with an Amendment and send it back to the Senate or if they will just concur in the Senate version. No promises as anything can happen but Kaufert's office was confident something will get done tomorrow to send to the Governor.

I will make sure Rep. Thiesfeldt chimes in so we can build more consensus to pass that bill.

Sincerely,
Hariah Hutkowski
Legislative Assistant"

Well, if they do it with an amendment it is dead until next session- Next January, I think. the only way it would make it to the Governor's desk is if the Senate version was passed as is.

Once again, Grinder putting irrelevant politics into the mix. Let's keep it about beer and not about your opinion on non-beer issues. Otherwise this thread is going to go off the rails and I may be the one to flip the switch!

Jaz

It seems like anytime they decide to suspend the rules things move faster, but I don't have any idea what that means specifically.

Doesn't the Senate meet today at 1PM? That is what the camera for the live feed on the floor seems to indicate. I did miss what was happening however before this. Anyone have a link to these proposed amendments???

Back