At what pressure does a CO2 tank become after cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remuS

Reaction score
I just got my first kegging system yesterday and filled up the keg with my first batch of beer. I understand that the pressure reduces when the CO2 tank is cold.

My question is, when I first connected the tank, the regulator showed about 825 or 850 PSI(?). After work, approximatly 4 hours later, it was down down 700 PSI. And then thismorning, about 8.5 hours later, it's down to 600 PSI. Is there a leak, or is this normal for a new CO2 tank.

It's a 5LB tank also.

Thanks
Brandon

I don't know the pressure drop. Mine was at about 800-900 then once it got cold it was about 600psi. That was way back in January.

I took it out to a beer club meeting not too long ago. It was out of the fridge for 4-5 hours. When I got back home it was over 700 psi, close to 800.

You can use soapy water in a squirt bottle, spray that on the fittings and look for bubbles or just listen for leaking. I'd just note the dropped level and watch it for a few days. You are probably AOK.

To answer your question. Its normal!

its fine. it might even go down to 500 psi if your fridge is cold enough.

its always good to check for leaks when putting together a new system, so try that too

CO2 pressure is temp dependent so as you cool it the pressure goes down and warm it and the pressure goes up. Mine sits around 600.

Mike

Mmm CO2 phase charts!

co2pv.gif

Thanks everyone.. it looks like after 8 hours today it's a little below 590. So it didn't change much throughout the day.

This forum is great! Just kegged my first beer yesterday and was wondering the same thing!

Don't worry about the pressure gauge it is worthless between 800 and 0. Weight is the only accurate way to see how much CO2 is in their. That's why it's called a 5lb tank, not a 800psi tank.

I understand the whole temp vs. pressure thing. Is there any way to gauge when your tank is about to run empty? I have a 5 lb. tank that's force-carbed 4 kegs so far and I know it's got to be getting low. TIA.

I understand the whole temp vs. pressure thing. Is there any way to gauge when your tank is about to run empty? I have a 5 lb. tank that's force-carbed 4 kegs so far and I know it's got to be getting low. TIA.

Well, basically as long as there is liquid in there, the pressure will be at 600 psi, or whatever. Then when there is no more liquid, plummets to near 0. Its a pretty quick process.

You can set a small scale under your tank to keep a constant monitor on it. Or after a few times you get a feel for how many kegs you can go through. 4-5 kegs of force carbing and serving is what most get from a 5lb'er. If you think it maybe close and you have a party or event coming up, get it filled. CO2 is cheap enough (~$12 for a fill) to not worry if you waste a lb or tow for the piece of mind KNOWING it's full.
Also once it runs out, if you're already carbed up, you can serve a few pints with the residual pressure in the tank.

Is it bad that I stayed up worried last night and could hardly sleep because I thought I had a leak and couldn't find it?

I took soapy water and sprayed down EVERYTHING to no avail.

Then I had an epiphany this morning, CO2 is liquid and contracts when cold... therefore drop in pressure is normal.

Searched the forum and BAM! Confirmed. Now I feel like a Mythbuster.

this threat is awesome, I was all worried that something was wrong (I just kegged and put everything in fridge about 4 hours ago) when my pressure went down from 800-600 .. thank god for this forum! it's awesome here!

Back