at what point is it too late to add peppers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of regular old semi sweet that's been racked twice and was started in october of 2011. I now have quite a crop of serrano chilies coming in and was wondering if it's too late to add them for some heat....?

Er...when it's sealed in the bottle. :D

The alcohol should extract the flavours fine at any stage--you'll just get different subtle ones and strengths depending how how you add them.
I'm assuming I don't need to warn you about heat levels, since you're growing peppers in quantity....

Er...when it's sealed in the bottle. :D

The alcohol should extract the flavours fine at any stage--you'll just get different subtle ones and strengths depending how how you add them.
I'm assuming I don't need to warn you about heat levels, since you're growing peppers in quantity....
Pretty much spot on (nice smart alec first sentence :D ).

You'll find that when making brews with chilli peppers, that the extract better as the brew progresses. This'd be, because the capsaicin (hot element) is a fatty alkaloid, which dissolves as the alcohol level rises.

One of the main methods of extraction, is to soak the chopped fruit in high strength spirit i.e. vodka or similar. it can then be added incrementally to attain the desired heat level.

Back