Asking for feedback on Scottish Ale/Wee Heavy Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoogruv

Reaction score
Wee Heavy/ Scotch Ale is one of my favorite styles when done well. I have several brews of my own recipes under my belt, so I'm not looking for remedial advice, but I do seek advice or opinions from those familiar with the style as to what you think of my recipe. Fire away with opinions and advice.

Steeping Grains
1 lb Maris Otter
8 oz Caramel 40L
8 oz Crisp Amber 60L
4-8 oz Smoked or Peated Malt

Extract
6 lb Amber DME
1 lb Dark DME

Hops
1 oz Galena
1 oz Willamette or Fuggles

My $0.02 on this: The Amber DME and Dark DME already contain a good amount of crystal malts in them. I would also add some roasted malt to give a full flavor character. Something like a few oz of chocolate or pale chocolate malts will add a bit of roastiness to the finish and some nutty/chocolate/coffee character as well. I make my Scotch Ale with honey malt, crystal 90 and chocolate malt and then get an earthy character by doing a side reduction of the wort, taking about 2 quarts and reducing it to 1/2 quart (for a 2-1/2 gal batch). This creates a thick viscous liquid which has strong melanoidins and gives a real earthy, quasi-smokey flavoring to the flavor without using a smoked malt. It will also give you a strong toffee flavoring which makes the taste smooth, full and a little buttery.

What yeast are you planning on using?

Back