As a beginner do you feel your beer is not as good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a new brewer ,but a craft brew drinker for many years. The few batches that I have done so far are very good. SO good that the other day I was reaching for a beer in the refigerator and picked my home brew over a couple of other big name craft brews that were also in there.

I am hoping to get enough of a pipeline to not have to buy beer except to try something new. I am getting closer in my quest to have enough beer on hand to only drink my own.

you can't compare apples to oranges. if you want a comparison of how well you are doing as a brewer, sample other homebrewer's beer. or jump into a compitition. home brew is unfiltered and can change with temp or yeast strain or water content or child sneezing into bucket (happened to me, great beer!!) or any number of homebrew problems. BMC companies keep EVERYTHING the same EVERY time. that is consistence. consistence comes with patience. patience comes with experience.

Keep Brewing my friend.

PROST

I've done less comparing of my beers to specific examples from commercial brewers and more of a comparison to the style...my first hefeweizen was right on in flavor, but it was a bit darker in color, probably from the LME and boiling it for 60 minutes, but the taste was fantastic.

An altbier I brewed in November that sat in the primary for 2 months is phenomenal. It's just like the altbier I drank in Düsseldorf when I spent a few months in Germany.

I have very high hopes for the Blood Orange Wheat and Victory Hop Devil I bottled yesterday.

I don't really care how it compares to commercial brews...just that my wife and I enjoy them. The fact that I get to tweak them a bit if I want to do something different, like use and WLP320 American Wheat yeast instead of WLP380 or WLP380 because my wife isn't a huge fan of the dominating banana and clove flavors of the other yeasts just makes it that much better. Add in that these beers are cheaper than buying in the store, and I get to say I made it...that's all that matters to me.

I've done less comparing of my beers to specific examples from commercial brewers and more of a comparison to the style...

I am interested in the same thing. I do not care if my brew is a clone of others, but is it a good beer for the style I am brewing.

Thanks for the support! I wrote that after drinking a couple beers from my 1st AG recipe, an Irish Red, bottled 3 weeks. I personally just dont like it but my dad does. Im going to wait another few weeks and try one again. But yesterday I drank a couple beers from my 2nd AG recipe, an IPA, bottled 15 days so far, and I loved it! Things are looking up!

Back