Arsenic in apple juice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Arsenic Found in Popular Juice Brands | Yahoo! Health

Apple Juice

The following brands had at least one sample of apple juice that exceeded 10 ppb:
Apple & Eve
Great Value (Walmart)
Mott’s

And these brands had one or more samples of apple juice that exceeded 5 ppb of lead:
America’s Choice (A&P)
Gerber
Gold Emblem (CVS)
Great Value
Joe’s Kids (Trader Joe’s)
Minute Maid
Seneca
Walgreens

Sorry, didn't read the article. Maybe I should.

I thought arsenic naturally occurred in apples, especially the seeds, but it's way within safe levels. Is 10 ppb arsenic and 5 ppb lead within safe levels? 10 and 5 ppb seems like a really small number. I would think that by simply drinking faucet water, you may get numbers like that.

I could be waaaay wrong though. But it's still not going to stop me from buying apple juice :)

EDIT: Ok, just read the first page. "There’s no federal arsenic threshold for juice or most foods, though the limit for bottled and public water is 10 ppb.", "One in four samples had lead levels higher than the FDA’s bottled-water limit of 5 ppb. As with arsenic, no federal limit exists for lead in juice."

No federal limits exist for the amount of arsenic or lead. If I'm correct about arsenic naturally occurring in apples, maybe this is why the numbers are higher than "bottle water standards"? Apple juice is not bottle water.

Maybe my hair is a bird and my argument is invalid.

It's still not going to stop me from buying apple juice :)

The drinking water standards are based on an average amount of water consumption. People obviously consume less juice than water. If you drink 5 glasses a day of tap water that has 3 ppb of arsenic (which is acceptable) and you drink one glass of apple juice a week which has 6 ppb...think about it. FWIW, ethyl alcohol is a toxin no matter how you twist it and it's the reason we're all on this forum.

The drinking water standards are based on an average amount of water consumption. People obviously consume less juice than water. If you drink 5 glasses a day of tap water that has 3 ppb of arsenic (which is acceptable) and you drink one glass of apple juice a week which has 6 ppb...think about it. FWIW, ethyl alcohol is a toxin no matter how you twist it and it's the reason we're all on this forum.

Well said!

Questions:

1. How much higher than 5/10 ppb? Are we talking 12 ppb arsenic or 200?

2. How high would it have to be to hurt me? There's no frame of reference for comparison

This looks like shoddy journalism. Remember, scary news boosts ratings.

Coworkers of mine were just talking today about how dangerous apples are since they have arsenic in them.

. . .on their cigarette break.

I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

So, all I have to do is drink walmart apple juice every day so I build up a resistance and then I'll be immune to being poisoned by my rivals!?! SWEET!

I wonder if Walmart has a great value food that will make me immune to zombies.....

Willing to bet the Great Value pizza's will do it.

This article is media grabbing nonsense. They didn't break out how much arsenic was organic vs. Inorganic. Organic arsenic is much less toxic than inorganic, and apples contain mostly organic arsenic.

BTW, I've met Dr. Oz and I think he's a tool.

From what I understand, Dr. Oz (that funny looking dude that use to show up on Oparah and then got his own daytime talk show) started this whole thing a couple weeks ago. Basically he went on his show, told his audience (mostly comprised of stay at home moms, and old women I'd assume) and presented his "SHOCKING NEWS ABOUT APPLE JUICE!!!!". People raised a fuss about how ridiculous this concern is and the issue disappeared for a bit. But, since his point still got the attention of a bunch of obnoxious viewers, a consumer report was conducted which is whats started this current fuss.

As far as I'm concerned its a bunch of rubbish. Every fear mongering story I've seen cover it has focused mostly on how this will impact children... you know, the poor, innocent little children that we give juice to because we thought it was a healthy option.... Well guess what, your kids probably shouldn't be drinking juice all day long anyways... Think about how many parents you've seen pushing a shopping cart around a store with like 4 gallons of juice in it and a small child following behind sucking down the nectar of his/her sippy cup. If a child is consuming so much juice that an arsenic content of ~10 ppb is a concern, I'd be inclined to think that maybe the ridiculous amount of sugar they are consuming in all of this juice would be a much better cause for alarm. Childhood diabetes, childhood obesity, sugar addictions, ect.. To me, these seem like much more rational things to be concerned about (albeit, they too make for obnoxious news stories). Apple juice borne arsenic poisoning?? Give me a break.

On the bright side... maybe this will cause a massive apple juice surplus and the cost to make a batch of already cheap Apfelwein will decrease!

Fid said:
From what I understand, Dr. Oz (that funny looking dude that use to show up on Oprah)

hey now, don't be racist. The proper term is "Turkish," not "funny looking."

**The More You Know*********************

I can recall a time about fifty years ago...a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, the news media splashed headlines like this: "EATING CRANBERRIES CAN CAUSE CANCER." So, people avoided eating cranberries that Thanksgiving. Then, shortly before Christmas, it was revealed that in proportion to the rodents which were tested, a human would have to eat NINETEEN RAILROAD BOXCARS full of cranberries A DAY for some stupidly long time.

Kinda reminds me of this arsenic in apple juice business.

glenn514:mug:

Arsenic doesn't occur naturally in apples, that's cyanide in small amounts in the seed. The arsenic in apple juice comes from spraying the trees in China where it is still allowed.
really it's just a way of testing if the juice comes from China.

I agree 100%. Both fish and rice contain more arsenic than water, on the order of 100-1,000 times as much. It all comes down to consumption rates and there are way to many questions that are left unanswered. Essentially this article doesn't really tell us much or give us much in the way of useful information. We drink MUCH more water than apple juice. If apple juice were placed under the same regulations as water, and contained 12 ppb, it'd be all over the news (like now). However, as stated above, if I drink 5 glasses of water a day with an acceptable measurement of 9 ppb for a week, and only 2 glasses of apple juice that same week, I've actually consumed 13 times as much arsenic from the water than from the apple juice.

Ironically, this article came from Dr. Oz. So, essentially he's telling us to steer clear and be wary of apple juice, but in order to ensure a healthy diet, eat plenty of fish, brown rice, and drink 8 glasses of water a day...

gregbathurst said:
Arsenic doesn't occur naturally in apples, that's cyanide in small amounts in the seed.

Ah, ok, thats right. I knew there was some type of toxin in the seeds.

AZ_IPA said:
dihydrogen monoxide is in apple juice in vast quantities and toxic as well. Be afraid!

It has also been found in most sink faucets as well. The vapors from that stuff can cause some serious burns.

http://schumer.senate.gov/Newsroom/record.cfm?id=334664

Here’s a release from the office US Senator Schumer suggesting juice manufacturers start purchasing New York (U.S.) grown apples instead of those grown in china. The release notes "the rampant use of toxic additives and chemicals, including inorganic arsenic, in their (china's) food supply".
He is absolutely right ... even though it will mean increased cost to the consumer.

We are not going to change Chinese policy. And the Chinese do NOT give a rat’s a** as to whether the products they sell us are safe *except* when they might lose our business over the issue.

We are fools for blindly buying Chinese products without applying any standards as to whether they are safe.
(Oh yeah, lets do away with the FDA! ... THERE’S a good f***kin idea. Don’t even get me started on this sh*t.)

The fact that it is cheaper for companies to import apple juice from half-way around the world, rather than use U.S. produced juice (or apples) illustrates just how totally behind the 8-ball we are on competing with dirt-cheap cost of overseas labor.

Jobs we have lost to that cheap labor are not ... repeat NOT coming back.

Once upon a time we were losing jobs to Mexico. Now all of us including Mexico are losing those jobs to China.

A few months back I was eating a snack made by Pringles ... these were small wheat sticks that look a bit like pretzel rods. As I’m eating them I was reading the little foil pack they came in, and there it was ... clearly written on the package ... searing itself into my eyeballs ... “made in Viet Nam”.
It is cheaper to manufacture those little wheat stix in godamned vietnam and transport them by shipping container half-way around the world than it is to make them here!!
And it was possibly with our wheat that was shipped over there first and then manufactured into little snack stix and then shipped back, at that. How cheap is that "cheap overseas labor"??... THAT'S how cheap it is.

What is even more incredible is when you consider that shipping containers are charged freight passage based on volume, *not* on weight! Do you have any idea how light those wheat snacks are? ... and it is STILL cheaper to make em in viet nam ?!?!

The size of the economic, trade and manufacturing paradigm shift that our nation must undergo in order to re-orient itself in the face of the competition from cheap worldwide labor is extraordinary. It is an economic re-orientation on all fronts including manufacturing, labor, health care, energy, distribution etc ... and in all arenas governmental, public and private ... and on the basis of how we define a high standard and good quality of life. This is the only way to accomplish the change, and it has to all be done, relatively, at the same approximate time in order to keep the ship afloat while we are doing it ... and we are soooooooo far away from even whispering about it amongst ourselves right now. Our tiny-minded, backwoods, pointy-headed, unknowledgeable discourse has made us the sad laughing-stock of the world. And meanwhile "Rome burns".
The tools we rely upon to fix things are broken ... the political process ... the supreme court ... an honest and watchful media. I have NO faith in our Country to cut the ideological bullcrap and start making the changes. We are screwed.

Never mind “drinking the kool-aid” ... in the meantime we’ll just continue drinking the apple juice.
Lemmings being lead to the sea.

Right on. Inexpensive, low quality goods only appear cheaper because the retail price does not reflect the true cost of the product. Somebody, somewhere, sometime, is going to have to pay the difference.

It's no secret that high quality cider begins with a high quality juice. I've made cider that came out 'just fine' from AJ sourced from Argentina. However, it pales in comparison to the ciders which come from the orchards local to me which are operated by good, honest hard, working (if quirky) folks who produce a high quality product while taking their job as land stewards very seriously.

It may take decades of tree care, years of expert knowledge, a fair amount of government appeasement in the form of regulations to correctly run an orchard.Turns out $5.95/gallon for the high end sweet nectar is a great deal.

This is making me thirst . . .

Globalisation was invented in America, there's not much point complaining. You can't turn the clock back, it's better to swim with the current. There is no point trying to protect uncompetitive industries, better to work with your strengths. As you say, you can't make great cider with chinese juice, and people will pay a premium for better product. Complaining won't bring the jobs back, you just have to work smart and make a better product.

gregbathurst & Jacob_Marley -

Thank you for unveiling the REAL issue behind the arsenic/apple issue - CHINA. Its not about dirt, not about water, not about the FDA. "Somehow" the articles about the issue don't explain the root cause - CHINA. If you buy the juice listed in the original post, you are supporting Chinese farmers, and the Chinese economy. Country of origin is always printed on the bottle/concentrate-can or rarely, the label.

Here in PA, there are only a few brands that are N American:
Wegmans
365 / Whole Foods / Trader Joe's and the organic brands they sell
Cascadian Farms (the only frozen concentrate)
Anything that's obviously local

Welch's is sometimes S American.

gregbathurst & Jacob_Marley -

Thank you for unveiling the REAL issue behind the arsenic/apple issue - CHINA. Its not about dirt, not about water, not about the FDA. "Somehow" the articles about the issue don't explain the root cause - CHINA. If you buy the juice listed in the original post, you are supporting Chinese farmers, and the Chinese economy. Country of origin is always printed on the bottle/concentrate-can or rarely, the label.

Here in PA, there are only a few brands that are N American:
Wegmans
365 / Whole Foods / Trader Joe's and the organic brands they sell
Cascadian Farms (the only frozen concentrate)
Anything that's obviously local

Welch's is sometimes S American.

You are correct that the common denominator in much of this is China.

But for our purposes, it is actually about our own Congress and the FDA.
We can not necessarily change China's behavior ... but we can change our behavior.

If the FDA is not funded sufficiently to enforce regulations and do testing, then we are going to see unacceptable toxin levels in products on store shelves.
If we do not limit the influence of lobbies and other entities which would thwart such regulation and enforcement, those tainted products will continue to be sold.

While the FDA does test for inorganic arsenic in juices, anecdotal reports seem to suggest that they are missing enough of the imported product to make their giving the "ok" not acceptably reliable.

There is no question as to issues of Chinese agricultural regulation permitting practices that we banned in this country long ago.

What products are unsafe due to melamine, lead, arsenic or any other toxic substance? ... I don't think there is any really practical way for the consumer to figure it out on their own. This is what government is for.

In the final analysis, our addiction to Chinese produced goods is directly related to our relative inability to afford those same items when produced here. Economics is big here.
No easy solutions.

Of course, if people stop buying the chinese imports in question, they will stop being carried. But again, it's economics ... that whole "paradigm" thing I mentioned in my earlier post.

Jacob_Marley,

Very true. In my mind (only), it comes down to the following question: what is more surprising - (1) that Chinese apple juice contains arsenic and Chinese apples are often treated with arsenic-containing insecticides, or (2) that almost all of the big-brand apple juice in the US is from China? Most people I've talked to find #2 to be the surprise. #1 is not really a shocker. In other words, I suspect that most people are buying big-brand juice because they are unaware of it's origin; I suspect that sales would decline drastically if every bottle was stamped with "PRODUCT OF CHINA" in huge letters. On the other hand, if we started stamping TV boxes with "PRODUCT OF CHINA," I don't think sales would decline. <-- Humble Opinion/Viewpoint.

LeBreton,
Wegmans not-from-concentrate is US/Canada - I should have been more specific.

Back