Aromatic Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXBrewDude

Reaction score
I want to bring out a noticeable malt flavor in my next Octoberfest. I was thinking of an aromatic malt addition to accomplish this. Will the aromatic malt add a malty flavor? Or only a malty aroma? How much of a grain bill will be enough, yet not overpower? I'll be using a Munich malt as a base. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you use enough high quality Munich malt for the base of the beer you shouldn't have to worry about using any flavor helpers. I'd say the aromatic malt does more with the aroma than flavor. Again if the right base grains are there that won't need any help either IMO.

Munich is a great malt. If you want to try a malt that gives a maltier flavor than Munich. Try Weyermann Boh. dark floor malt. The SNR is in the 122-125F range for a 20 minute protein rest. The malt color is about the same as Munich light.

Munich is a great malt. If you want to try a malt that gives a maltier flavor than Munich. Try Weyermann Boh. dark floor malt. The SNR is in the 122-125F range for a 20 minute protein rest. The malt color is about the same as Munich light.

Vlad, good info on that Bohemian dark malt. I've seen it on the Weyermann website and it did look intriguing. What have you brewed with it? Sounds like it might make a killer festbier.

At what soluble nitrogen ratio do you determine a protein rest is required?

Brewed a Pale Ale with some Aromatic this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thank you! I look forward to the results. Let me know your recipe too so I know how much your using

i would try about 4-12oz or 7% of aromatic or melanoidin malt. It should give it a nice malty accent flavor.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have been adding a few ounces of aromatic malt to my pale ales and IPAs lately and I like how the hops and the malt interact.

Vlad, good info on that Bohemian dark malt. I've seen it on the Weyermann website and it did look intriguing. What have you brewed with it? Sounds like it might make a killer festbier.

I've used their floor malted barley a few times - a couple dunkels, Oktoberfest and a Czech pilsner. The protein rest is a must since it isn't as well modified as a standard malt. I typically do a decoction mash with my lagers regardless. If you go with the bohemian dark, you won't need a lot of aromatic malt, maybe 2-5% IMHO.

XXXBrew....SNR 33 to 36, 122/125F, slightly under to low modification. SNR 37 to 40, 128/131F, high modification. SNR above 40, no rest. Above SNR 45 malt is not suitable to brew with. British malt is generally 40 to 45 SNR, over modified.

BigEd....I use the dark in Octoberfest, Marzen, Bock and Maibock. I use a portion in light lager and pils. Years ago, I was able to get Budvar. The malt was great. Weyermann dark has almost the same maltiness/flavor as Budvar. The difference was in lovibond, Budvar was 1. If you decoction, the scent from boiling the mash is different than Weyermann Boh Pils. The scent is much richer. The color in the final product is golden to a light orange glow depending on the light. That is with decoctions boiled for 30 minutes. The run off is light yellow, but changes during the boil. I use 802 with the malt. 800 and 830 finishes too sweet for my taste buds, using Weyermann dark. I use Saazer with Weyermann Boh Pils and German Hallertau with their dark floor malt. Try out the malt, it makes a great German style beer when tri-decoctioned. On Home Brew Day at the LHBS I will be using Crisp's Euro Pils, to see what it will produce. The SNR is 36. A British malster making Euro malt will be interesting.

BigEd....I use the dark in Octoberfest, Marzen, Bock and Maibock. I use a portion in light lager and pils. Years ago, I was able to get Budvar. The malt was great. Weyermann dark has almost the same maltiness/flavor as Budvar. The difference was in lovibond, Budvar was 1. If you decoction, the scent from boiling the mash is different than Weyermann Boh Pils. The scent is much richer. The color in the final product is golden to a light orange glow depending on the light. That is with decoctions boiled for 30 minutes. The run off is light yellow, but changes during the boil. I use 802 with the malt. 800 and 830 finishes too sweet for my taste buds, using Weyermann dark. I use Saazer with Weyermann Boh Pils and German Hallertau with their dark floor malt. Try out the malt, it makes a great German style beer when tri-decoctioned.

Thanks, Vlad. Sounds very good. I will definitely give this malt a try maybe a Dunkel, Doppelbock or Festbier. :mug:

If you use enough high quality Munich malt for the base of the beer you shouldn't have to worry about using any flavor helpers. I'd say the aromatic malt does more with the aroma than flavor. Again if the right base grains are there that won't need any help either IMO.

You were correct. I used Munich type 1 as the base malt about 90% and some caravienne, Cara Munich , and melanoidin for the balance. Oktoberfest yeast, and hallertau. Man this is malty and spot on what I was after. I'll be entering this to be judged, we'll see how it does

Back