Ares I-X

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was working the airborne downrange telemetry asset for that launch. They actually hired an Indian Shaman to de-curse the launch pad before T-time. Appears to have worked!

Athena’s? Which one? The first two were essentially failures (the curse!!), third one had no issues.

Another interesting fact about SLC 6 is that it was going to be the launch complex for the space shuttle and was retrofitted for it too. Read the article, pretty cool. When I would walk up to the door to get in the building where I was working there was a rusty old plaque on the door saying “Space Shuttle Launch Complex” (or similar words) on the door. I got to work in one of their 3 high bays, each the shape and size as the shuttle cargo bay. Man, they were big. What they were designed to do was you prep your payload in there, then they roll the shuttle to the processing building and you mate to its bay and then back to the pad. Pad was cool to check out too. Blast tunnels were huge. One of the roads on the base had the rock cut out on both sides so they could transport the shuttle from the airport to the pad about 30 miles away or so. I drove that road to work every day. I took a ton of pictures but unfortunately back then I had a film camera. I have pictures of Atlas and Titan complexes too. Got to see old ICBMs up close too being refabed as satellite launch vehicles, they had the star on the side and were all dusty. Sorry, I just love talking about this stuff. :ban:

Ares chase plane video

Follows it up to separation then follows it back down to chute deployment and splash-down. Nothing happens after ~6:20.

I was thinking a fast jet as the chase plane but I guess it was really a plane and what appears to be a slow one since the final scenes of splashdown almost appeared to come from a helicopter. What do I know though, I am not a pilot.

I was thinking a fast jet as the chase plane but I guess it was really a plane and what appears to be a slow one since the final scenes of splashdown almost appeared to come from a helicopter. What do I know though, I am not a pilot.

Probably an old prop-job like a P-3. They just pre-stage to the area with a big honkin' camera and wait for it to show up.

No plane would be fast enough to chase a rocket like this, even if this one didn't go orbital.

No plane would be fast enough to chase a rocket like this, even if this one didn't go orbital.
I was disappointed at the beginning of that video because I was thinking; "Crap, they're far away and they def aren't gonna get any closer." It's more for the descent/chute/splashdown.

I don't know what they were in, it was sent to me via e-mail as 'ARES Chase plane video' so I googled that and posted one of the links.

Probably an old prop-job like a P-3. They just pre-stage to the area with a big honkin' camera and wait for it to show up.

Still looks like a still camera shot, not saying it is not. The plane appears to follow pretty much the assent and decent with great accuracry and not a hickup or apparent change in angle form where it was taken except for focusing. I am sure the camera had tracking on it though so I am sure it is possible. I still expect to see some movement of the plane once it hits the water but I saw none.

Back