Are you really a home brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m jealous of you guys with your fancy systems stashed in your garages or better yet, a brew shed. I’ve even seen some kick a$$ kitchen and laundry room set-ups. But how many of you have convinced your wife to let you brew in the home portion of your house?

Are you really a "home" brewer? :D

BrewDay110410_4_lr.jpg

BrewDay110410_5_lr.jpg

There are others trapped behind the wall in the first pic. Do you have a pit in your basement ?:D

Do you haul all of your equipment out when you are done brewing?

Being a home brewer doesn't count on having a kicking place to brew (at home)...

I don't think that setup is in a basement, or outside (judging by the rest of the room)... Looks more like it's being stored in a living room, or family room, to me... :rockin:

I keep my gear in the kitchen, when not in use. Where it gets used depends on where I'm brewing. Before my LL turned neurotic, I was brewing in the kitchen. Now, I brew on the porch at my brew-buddy's house. I'm thinking about brewing a batch at my mother's place on Easter. :rockin: :ban: I'll let it ferment there, so that I don't need to transport the wort home. Thinking I'll bottle it there (of course) and leave her 6-12 bottles (16oz flip-top) for letting me ferment it there. I'll need to make something she'll like to drink, which shouldn't be too difficult... Although they are more lighter brew drinkers than I am... Thinking a blonde ale would work...

I have a closet, 3/4 a bathroom and a small part of the dining room dedicated to brewing stuff (equipment storage, fermentation space and bottle storage). I absorb the kitchen during brew days.

I knew a guy who converted the MIL Suite kitchenette portion of his home into a permanent home for his BrewMagic. Took it off the wheels, bolted it to the floor, gassed it, range hood to OA, stock pot faucets to each kettle, tile and a floor drain.

Turned the rest of the space into a Family Den. Truely a thing to behold.

I brew in a 12x20 room that consists of my living room and kitchen. Beer ferments in the corner of the bedroom. Homebrew equipment takes up 1.5 closets. Nothing is permanent and I have to fully stuff everything back into closets when I'm done. It's truly "home" brewing.

It's nice to have an understanding SWMBO.

I knew a guy who converted the MIL Suite kitchenette portion of his home into a permanent home for his BrewMagic. Took it off the wheels, bolted it to the floor, gassed it, range hood to OA, stock pot faucets to each kettle, tile and a floor drain.

Turned the rest of the space into a Family Den. Truely a thing to behold.

That sounds like a great way to keep the MIL away. I'm going to keep that one in the back pocket.

Do you haul all of your equipment out when you are done brewing?
Use to before I went electric. Now it stays upstairs in the family room.

The second picture is how it's stored when not in use. Make for an interesting conversation piece when we have visitors.

We just bought a house wit a 1000+ sq. foot shop and it only took about 3 days before is was completely brew equipped. Now i'm working on an 80 gal. setup in there for my next project

Use to before I went electric. Now it stays upstairs in the family room.

The second picture is how it stays when not in use.

Did I ever post my "old" system? All the stuff went into the basement and then got hauled up to the kitchen on brewday. Here's a picture:
4189-DSCF0085-1.JPG

Not a very fancy three tier system, but it worked for several years!

Of course, it's a little prettier now!
DSCF5538.JPG

Sorry, I hadn't had a chance to brag about it yet but this seemed like the place, I guess I should'nt post any pics huh...

Sorry, I hadn't had a chance to brag about it yet but this seemed like the place, I guess I should'nt post any pics huh...

You're such a tease... Twist the knife a few more times while you're at it...

I know that eventually I'll have a good place to brew. Just not sure how long it will take me to get there.

I brew on my back patio. Its nice right now b/c the weather is ~70º in AZ. In couple months I may have to switch to the garage...

I heat water on my stove in the kitchen, mash in the cooler on the floor, lift the cooler onto the counter, put the boil pot on a bucket underneath the cooler and drain into that. Then I carry that outside to boil, then I bring it back inside. 5 or 10gal.

I had to put in a few years of colossal messes in the kitchen and a VERY irritated wife before i finally convinced her that a shop was'nt just an option.

If you can stand the heat (pun intended) with just a few more incident like that you'll have a proper brew spot in no time.

It may be lonely but, it'll be a good spot to brew.

I brew inside. Actually just yesterday a guy from my homebrew club was over and he couldn't believe it when I told him. I brew right by the front door and leave the door open when the burner is on.

I also have half of my garage turned into a room which is my little bar/storage area for all of my equipment. I've never gotten a single complaint from the missus.

Geez, I'm not married and I brew outside. I CHOOSE to brew outside, cause I would rather be outside, at least until it gets too friggin hot. It does kinda suck hauling water and stuff back and forth between the house and the garage, but I need the exercise anyway.

^ I would love to also, my problem is the wind. It's always windy here the last two years, and I would rather not deal with that. I'm going to try to brew outside next week so I can have people over though. We'll see how it goes.

I brewed last Sunday and it was windy. I ended up building a barricade out of some folding chairs and plywood. That seemed to work well.

BTW, I brew right at the edge of my garage. I love it. That way I'm almost outside, but I'm still in the shade. That will definitely help in the summer out here.

It had to get rid of the SWMBO before I could even start to brew. Now I brew at least every week. Started indoors at the end of winter and now I'm doing most everything outdoors. I do need to convert my wort chiller to run of the garden hose so I can brew next to the pool and gazebo. My setup is still pretty ghetto but it works!

yeah first time brewing with the new keggle. forgot how d*mn heavy half barrels are, lol. for some reason i decided to use it to heat my strike water instead of my lighter, easier pot. I have a burner on my back patio (or in the garage in winter), but i usually mash inside cause it's convenient and i didn't have the table out back yet anyway.

so i was carrying the bastard in, 6.5gal strike + weight of keggle. lost my balance coming into the house, down it went. luckily its right by the door so a rug should do fine.

gold - yeah, this might be the impetus to build at least some sort of stand.

wife'll get over it. she wanted hardwood anyway.

All you need to do is work it so that you get a stand (with, or without pumps) for brewing where you want (put the sucker on wheels) and she gets the hardwood floor... Of course, I would say build the stand before you get the new floor floor installed. That way, you can explain to her, you won't have another accident on the new hardwood floor when you brew once they're done. If you're brewing in the garage/patio, then she won't need to worry about her new floors being burned... :D

^ I would love to also, my problem is the wind. It's always windy here the last two years, and I would rather not deal with that. I'm going to try to brew outside next week so I can have people over though. We'll see how it goes.

+1 on this. I planned on brewing yesterday and though that didnt work out for me because of a funeral, it wouldnt have happened anyways cause it was WAAAY too windy.

One of the many factors I didnt think of before I actually had the set-up going.

I am an apartment dweller, so i brew inside on the stove. The woman is very understanding of this obsession and has let me turn the 2nd bedroom of our apartment into my gear storage area. All I have to do is keep an IPA available for her.

That's impressive, but no worky in Florida. I brew out on the patio next to the pool while smoking a fine cigar. Too effing hot to do it inside! SWMBO? She's onboard with home brewing 101% and I can do/buy anything I want. :)

Here in Iowa the AC just works a bit harder on brew days. I have a nice electric flat top stove that lets me get a good boil on almost 5 gallons, the humidity can get rough though

I did my first batch on our electric flat top stove.... Two grandchildren were born while I waited on that boil! :)

HAHA! I did a boil on a coil electric stove. Never again. My stove will get my 20qt pot rolling within 30 mins roughly so its not bad.

i just burned a keggle ring into my carpet. does that count?

note, wife is pissed.
just tell her your going to replace to carpet with tile that way there wont be any more rings. win win?

In the house we currently live in i have a 20x20 room in the back that the wife has named "Nicky's Fun room" were my brewery/card room/bar is. I have a door to the back yard so i just brew out side on my deck.

Well, I guess I am either a carport, tail gate, or yard brewer, depending on the weather.

Back