Are you a Snob or an Enthusiast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHulen

Reaction score
Even though I’m passionate about craft beer, I don’t share the same distain for BMC that others seem to have. I simply think of them as a particular style that is very boring. Not as “low quality” beers. In my eyes a low quality beer is one with off flavors, a beer that was carelessly brewed. I’ve had a lot of bad homebrew. But never a bad Budweiser. Budweiser isn’t a bad beer, it’s just a boring beer. I would never pay money for it. But if I’m at someone’s house and they offer me a bud lite I’m not going to turn my nose up and say no.

There’s nothing about BMC to make it less quality. It’s not like processed food where they’re adding artificial flavors and colors. You could argue that they add rice/corn. But, lots of beers have simple sugars in the grain bill. I’m curious to know what other homebrewers think about BMC.

I'm with you on this.

I find it best to draw a distinction between macro light lager and the companies that brew them.

Trashing AB-InBev for anti-competitive practices that stifle or swallow craft beer? I'm entirely with you.

Trash Bud Light as bad beer? You clearly know very little about brewing.

As you said, macro light lager is boring and bland. And it appeals to the lowest common denominator. And sometimes it has its time and place and there is nothing wrong with that.

The ultimate irony is the BMC trashers lining up in droves for BCBS and variants. Hypocrisy is a stinky cologne.

As you said, macro light lager is boring and bland. And it appeals to the lowest common denominator. And sometimes it has its time and place and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'll add that although I'm not a BMC drinker, I don't hate it. Nothing wrong with an ice-cold Bud Light or Coors after a day working in the yard and my neighbor is usually good about running a few over on a Saturday afternoon. And if I'm at a gathering and the host offers a BMC I'll be gracious and accept. There are certain niceties one should observe, and acting all edgy about someone's beer choice will not get Max Stout invited back to the next event. That won't do.

Yes, BMC appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's a lot like bands like Nickelback and Godsmack. Very simple music for simple people. That in no way is saying it's bad music or the musicians aren't talented but there isn't anything unique about their music.

That is how I feel about BMC beers. They aren't overly unique, there isn't anything special about them, but the fact that the beer is the same every time and every place takes a lot of talent.

That being said, I do not consider myself a snob but I definitely know what I like. Bud Light and Miller Lite, I will respectfully decline. Coors Light or Busch Light, I will reluctantly accept. Any craft other than a super strong Belgian, I will ask if I can have another.

Even though I’m passionate about craft beer, I don’t share the same distain for BMC that others seem to have. I simply think of them as a particular style that is very boring. Not as “low quality” beers. In my eyes a low quality beer is one with off flavors, a beer that was carelessly brewed. I’ve had a lot of bad homebrew. But never a bad Budweiser. Budweiser isn’t a bad beer, it’s just a boring beer. I would never pay money for it. But if I’m at someone’s house and they offer me a bud lite I’m not going to turn my nose up and say no.

There’s nothing about BMC to make it less quality. It’s not like processed food where they’re adding artificial flavors and colors. You could argue that they add rice/corn. But, lots of beers have simple sugars in the grain bill. I’m curious to know what other homebrewers think about BMC.
I agree. I don't mind a light America lager at times. Cheers

When I first got into beer I admit I was a little snobbish. What changed that for me was becoming a homebrewer. Once I truly understood what beer was and how it was made it changed my mind. Perhaps most of the beer snobs out there are people that like craft beer, but have no clue what goes into making it.

I would turn down Budweiser. I don't like drinking it. However, none of my friends or family drink BMC so I'm really never put in that position. Lucky I guess.
I also avoid it (and their craft brands and their homebrew stores) because their monopolization is bad for the beer industry in my opinion.

I consider myself an enthusiast. I wouldn't think less of anyone for drinking whatever beer they enjoy. Given the opportunity, I'd encourage people to try new things because I love beer and it's really exciting and fun sharing the experience with people!

I don't know about beer snobs, but the high handed liberal use of the phrase "Lowest common denominator" leads me to conclude there are a LOT of plain old regular f'ing snobs around here anymore! As a card carrying low denominator I say go to . . .

I was a lowest common denominator long before it was cool.

Going by the above, I'm an enthusiast. I won't drink American Adjunct Lagers, but I won't judge those who do (well, unless they are at a craft beer bar asking for Coors Light. Then I might have a few things to say on the side.)

I've thought of myself as a beer geek for years. I like drinking beer, making beer, learning more about brewing, about the history of beer, collecting beer related stuff ("beeriana"?)-I guess I just like beer.

I'm also old enough remember what American lagers tasted like in the pre-light beer era. Those beers weren't all generic, bland and boring. Well, the segment of today's beer drinkers who think it ain't beer if it's less than 50 IBU would probably find them bland, but there were enough differences between the various brands to give beer drinkers actual choices. Today's macro brews are more the creation of the marketing folks than the brewing folks. As long as the product is consistent the marketing dep't. will find new ways to promote the same old beer. The beer is made to a very high standard, it just isn't very tasty.

I think beer enthusiasts/geeks can be guilty of a sort of reverse snobbishness towards those who have narrower interests. You see it on this board in the "Yes, it's an IPA!/No, it's not!" type of threads.

It's beer. It's all good. Brew/buy/drink what you like, in good health, for years to come. Cheers!

I hate bell peppers. Red, green, orange, cooked or raw, all of them. If I judged anyone that ate them, I'd be be a multitude of profane words and my judging would be foolish. That said, if someone offers me a dish at their house with bell peppers, I'm going to eat it and say "Thank you".

BMC are my bell peppers of beer. I'm not buying it (or their craft brands), but I'd rather someone drink that than no beer at all. They'll be more likely to try a Kolsh or Czech Pils I may hand them at my house.

I hate judgemental beer snobs more than green peppers. And it's not only toward BMC. Don't like NEIPAs and think they're horrible looking spiked orange juice? Great, don't order one. But don't rip me apart because I do, and I won't hand you a fork for your vanilla, hazelnut, chocolate raspberry cake stout with twinkie filling served in a giant hollowed out gumny bear (or a straw for your Bud Light)!

Last edited:
I think American lagers have their place. My preference is PBR or Naragansett or something like that, but sometimes I actually prefer it. I love craft beer and I love bold flavors, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood. I don't think I'd ever pick it out, but if a buddy offers me a cold bud or MGD I wouldn't scoff. I'll still get down on Treehouse and things like that and love it too.

Try some good Mexican lagers, as well. Victoria is a favorite of mine. The Mexican brewing tradition mostly comes from Germany, and there are some tasty beers out there. As long as it's quality it has a place in my fridge.

Last edited:
I think American lagers have their place. My preference is PBR or Naragansett or something like that, but sometimes I actually prefer it. I love craft beer and I love bold flavors, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood. I don't think I'd ever pick it out, but if a buddy offers me a cold bud or MGD I wouldn't scoff. I'll still get down on Treehouse and things like that and love it too.

Try some good Mexican lagers, as well. Victoria is a favorite of mine. The Mexican brewing tradition mostly comes from Germany, and there are some tasty beers out there. As long as it's quality it has a place in my fridge.

If you like Mexican beers try Bohemia. It can be hard to find depending on where you are.

Beer snob: Has particular tastes in beer and is judgmental of others' choices of beer.
Beer enthusiast (or beer geek): Has particular tastes in beer but doesn't care what others drink.

I'm in the latter category. Many people prefer BMC. I don't, but to each their own.
I'm a beer enthusiasnob then- I have particular tastes, dont care for the buds,millers ,coors and most IPAs. I like what I like and I'm open to try anything once. but I try to get others I see drinking the boring beers to try something else.
my son for example- is a daily bud light guy but after trying it, loves Founders Green Zebra.

Beer snob: Has particular tastes in beer and is judgmental of others' choices of beer.
Beer enthusiast (or beer geek): Has particular tastes in beer but doesn't care what others drink.

I'm in the latter category. Many people prefer BMC. I don't, but to each their own.

Shorter way to say it:

A beer enthusiast/geek cares what he/she drinks. A beer snob cares what you drink.

I prefer the term connoisseur. I realize it sounds pretentious but that’s just ‘cause it’s French, and some people think it’s snobby for an American to use a French word.

But all it means is someone who likes to understand, discern, and appreciate the finer points of something. It does not imply judgment of others’ choices or behavior.

So I’m going with that. :)

I agree. If you don't think Bud is one of the finest beers ever brewed, you are not worthy of an opinion.

Oops did I say that out loud? On a thread about snobbery?
It's better than the beer you brew

:mug:

That they're able to reach that level of blandness consistently across multiple plants within the tolerances they allow is nothing short of remarkable.

That's all I'm saying.

I tend to prefer Euro swill over US swill, but fortunately in most instances here if it's macro only it's AB-InBev and Stella is an option. I'll definitely crush some Stella at a hockey game.

Or PBR. I'll knock those back too.

But of the big three, Miller Lite is my preference.

That they're able to reach that level of blandness consistently across multiple plants within the tolerances they allow is nothing short of remarkable.

That's all I'm saying.

I tend to prefer Euro swill over US swill, but fortunately in most instances here if it's macro only it's AB-InBev and Stella is an option. I'll definitely crush some Stella at a hockey game.

Or PBR. I'll knock those back too.

But of the big three, Miller Lite is my preference.

Exactly....you have to respect the precision these beers are made with. The vast majority of homebrewers could not brew these beers. That’s why I was saying I think most of the snobs are craft beer enthusiasts, but probably not homebrewers. As a brewer you understand how difficult this style is to make.

Take food for example...I don’t know if you’ve ever tried a soufflé, but there’s nothing special about the flavor. It’s basically just a French biscuit. I tried it once and I was like what’s the big deal. It’s just bread. But foodies pay ridiculous amounts of money at fancy restaurants for it. Why?? Because they’re incredibly hard to make, and are a testament to the skill of the chef. The rest of us don’t care.

That’s what I’m saying about BMC. When I was just a beer lover, but not a brewer, I looked down on BMC. Now when I drink it I have more appreciation for it. Even if the flavor isn’t there.

Or a good German Pils....one of my favorites. Give me a BitBurger any day. 100% Pilsner malt....one addition of noble hops and you’ve got a world class beer. It’s all about the process and technique, not the recipe.

lol, i'll drink anything....

edit: and i'm not above watching 'murder, she wrote' either! my mom loved it....

Last edited:
IMG_7988.jpg

I had to do research to answer this question! I can not remember last time
I tasted a BMC. So at dinner at Mexican restaurant, I ordered a Corona thinking that’s kind of like a BMC. It was a good lager. But it’s not BMC so this doesn’t answer the question.

So now, we are waiting for the tornado warning and hail to stop (Texas!) at the bar at said Mexican restaurant, so in the name of brewing science, and in service to the Homebrew talk community, I ordered the above beers for me and my wife. We did a blind taste test and both could easily tell the Sam Adams from the Bud. First of all, the good news is we could both tell which was which easily.

Second: I though the Bud was good. A light lager, clean, clear, no after taste, a great lawnmower beer, etc. My wife didn’t like the Bud but did like the SA. To me, it’s good too - maltier, stronger etc.

That's an opinion, not a fact, and no one holds that opinion who's tasted my beer.

Judging my beer without tasting it pretty much fits any definition of a beer snob. Congrats.

Back