Are we alone? Open SETI Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Read about this project this morning and thought of this board.

Here is the site: http://setiquest.org/

The project will be open to program developers, data analyzers, and general listeners. The data will provided to those who sign up and offer ways of processing and analyzing the data.

So, given the programmers and general computer geeks on here, I thought I would share the info. I may sign up as listener, as I have little programming/developing skills.

Plus, radio astronomy has always fascinated me given the ability of a general person to build an antenna and radio processor.

Saw an interesting idea to explain the Drake Paradox. Once organic life reaches a certain point, it goes virtual and no longer has any need to expand it's resource base.

Saw an interesting idea to explain the Drake Paradox. Once organic life reaches a certain point, it goes virtual and no longer has any need to expand it's resource base.

Huh, never come across this paradox. Does it take into account irrational behavior, such as the need to expand beyond one's needs? This to me the root of most problems: greed, infidelity, war, etc.

Must read this later (when I am not busy) :)

My bad. Fermi Paradox, Drake equation. The latter tries to break down the factors to estimate how many intelligent lifeforms there are in the galaxy. The Paradox is whomever was first should have taken over the galaxy before a second life-form can develop space travel. Even at 0.1%C, it would only take 10 million years or so to occupy all inhabitable planets.

Ah, I see. I will definitely look this one up as time allows.

Growth equations are just fun!

Thanks for explaining that one

I've been doing SETI@home since 2002, but this looks like it would be good for a more hands on person.

Oh cool! Do you allow your comp to run data as a "screensaver"? I knew someone doing that.

This is great for data processors or information analyst to develop a program that can quickly scan a dataset for anomalies. I wish I knew more about general programming. Mostly I know SAS stuff.

I'm of the belief that while it's likely there is intelligent life on other plants, if they're intelligent enough to make contact, they're intelligent enough not to contact US. :D

Back