Are these viruses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much at all, barely any. Haven't watered in a few days either. [emoji16]

My hops are getting some yellow leaves but where I live we have had a very rainy summer so far, way more than normal.

Oh ok they are all different. The pictures are Centennial, Mt. Hood, Nugget, Mackanaw

Possibly spider mites? Check the back side of the leaves for very very small spiders

I can see how you could think that it might be virus related but it looks like something that's been happening to mine for 20+ years now. I heard a semi-technical explanation, something like as the plants get into the reproductive part of their cycle, so much energy is needed to go into the flowers that the lower leaves sometimes get stripped of their nutrients leaving them look like that. For me, it's worse on some varieties than others. My observations have been that as long as the upper portion of the plants look good, don't worry about it.

2nd what B-Hoppy said. If you're starting cone phase, you're plant begins drawing resources from the lower leaves. Don't worry. These all appear to be towards the bottom of the plant, correct?

Back