Are these Hops additions too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobo

Reaction score
Doing a Jamil Zainasheff version of a Nut Brown Ale recipe with the Hop addition listed below. Being a new all grain brewer, it seems these hop additions are on overload. Maybe a Nut Brown/IPA? Any suggestions on simplifying the Hop additions? Opinions?
Also, not sure what the (zero) means in the 2nd Cascade addition means… Maybe flameout, end of boil?

Northern Brewer:
1 oz – mash
.75 oz – 60 min
1 oz – 15 min
———————
Cascade:
1.5 oz – 10 min
1.5 oz – 0
———————
Centennial:
2 oz – dry
———————
IBU: 63

That looks a lot like Tasty McDole's Janet's Brown hop bill. If you're looking for an India Brown Ale, I think that will do it.

That looks a lot like Tasty McDole's Janet's Brown hop bill. If you're looking for an India Brown Ale, I think that will do it.

Yes, that's the one. From Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles. Doing the all-grain version in my Grainfather for first-time brew. I'm a little worried all of those hops will clog-up the pump and filter. I was looking to scale the hops back a little without ruining the brew.

The Grainfather can handle that amount of hops without an issue. I have used 8oz and no problems.
I used hop bags at first and then tried just a couple of ounces and now now more hop sacks.
It is pretty amazing seeing all the hop gunk when you empty it out.

Latest posts

Back