Are these hop vines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxstar21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We moved into our house last year, and I noticed these vines last year at an older gentleman's house who lives about 5 houses down. He has all kinds of different plants and didn't know what the vines were. When the shoots first start popping up, they are the purplish and dark green color similar to the ones I plant. After a week or two though they turn this light green/yellowish color and stay like that all year. I never saw any hop cones on them last year, but they look just like hop vines to me.

Can anybody confirm if these are or aren't hops just for curiosity purposes?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430521303.351191.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430521325.355901.jpg

I'm not saying that they couldn't be something else, but they sure do look like hops to me. The purple headed warrior sprouts that you spoke of are another strong indication. Looks like clockwise rotation and a round bine, right? Spacing on the nodes with 2 leaves each. I'm voting tentative "yes"

Yes and they twist there way around things. I think they are hops as well. The leaves really look identical to my plants, but the color and not seeing any hop cones is why I wasn't sure. There are quite a few vines he has in there.

If you search the web for ornamental hops you will see pictures that look like the ones you have in the picture. There is also a hops named sunbeam with yellow leaves, not sure if they are the same as ornamental hops.

You'll have to wait and see if you get hops. Might just be in the same family but not the same species.

Yep, it is hops. It can be Sunbeam (a descent of Saaz hops), Aureus or Summer Shandy. Don't know if there is more of those "decorative" hops cultivars out there. It's not because they were selected for their special foliage (decorative) that you cannot try them in a brew. :D

I go by his house every day, and didn't even see hops growing on them last year, just the vines. I had no plans in using them in a brew, I just wanted to let the guy know what they were. I didn't know they had ornamental hops. I think they have been planted for awhile. I will have to ask him if they ever grew hops; we have only lived in t he neighborhood for a year.

Back