Are SMaSH recipes worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wouldn't be a SMaSH beer, it would be a SHaME beer (single hops and malt extract). Nothing wrong with that. I just brewed my 3 batch of SHaME beer. 1 gallon versions and only 15 minute boils. Takes about an hour twenty minutes for me from measuring out water to being done and all cleaned up. This last one was pale malt extract and Motueka hops.
Funny how you can call it that just because it is not done from the grain stage.

Funny how you can call it that just because it is not done from the grain stage.

Read my reply one before Griffin495's. SMaSH is single malt single hop. The extracts you mentioned would contain several malts.

So he is correct in calling what you describe as a SHaME - Single Hop with Malt Extract.
I believe you can get Maris Otter extract that would be single malt.
There are probably others, but a dark malt or amber malt extract will more than likely be several different malts and would also be different depending on who made it.

For those that use BeerSmith what style do you use when building a SMaSH recipe? I’m getting suggestions all over the place on hops bitterness for a recipe I’m trying to build. I suppose it’s really just preference.

I have nothing against extract. That's not what I am implying at all. I stumbled across that acronym online and even found some old threads here about it. That's where I got the idea. Like I said, I've done three batches that way this year. 2 came out really good, surprisingly good, and the third one I brewed Sunday and its fermenting away. I wanted to use up some old hops and I wanted to try out some new ones. I took a 3 lb bag of malt extract and divided it into 3 portions, one for each one gallon batch. The first got Willamette at about 10 IBUs, the second got Mandarina Bavaria at 35 IBUs, and the last one got Montueka at around 34 IBUs. All 15 minute boils. The last two had an ounce total of hops each. Really excited to see how the third one came out. The great part is a brew day is under an hour and half and on the last one I was done brewing, and the wort was chilling before my 3.5 year old son got out of bed so it didn't interfere with our morning or Memorial Day plans.

I love all grain, but I have no problems with brewing up a quick extract batch every now and then especially when there are time constraints. I had just finished bottling a lager Sunday and I hate when my fermenting fridge is empty and I'm out of town all next, so this was a quick way to get something in there to keep the pipeline going. Oh, and this way batch #50 for me. :)

For those that use BeerSmith what style do you use when building a SMaSH recipe? I’m getting suggestions all over the place on hops bitterness for a recipe I’m trying to build. I suppose it’s really just preference.

I build the recipe without looking at the style much, then see what style it fits out of curiosity. When I’ve done them I’m more concerned with OG, IBU, and color.

Read my reply one before Griffin495's. SMaSH is single malt single hop. The extracts you mentioned would contain several malts.

So he is correct in calling what you describe as a SHaME - Single Hop with Malt Extract.
I believe you can get Maris Otter extract that would be single malt.
There are probably others, but a dark malt or amber malt extract will more than likely be several different malts and would also be different depending on who made it.
How many kilos or pounds of malted grain would i need for a 20 to 23 liter batch as this may be a good starting point for me in trying to make an all grain beer using the BIAB method.

It depends on the recipe. A pale low alcohol beer might have as little as 7 or 8 pounds. A high alcohol beer dark beer might have over 22 pounds. My average is about 11 pounds.

It also depends on the efficiency you get from your system. I get about 70%, others get less and some get over 90% efficiency.

For the SMaSH recipes I've brewed, they usually end up being something around a Pale Ale, but I'm not too concerned with hitting any specific style but rather just want to be able to showcase the malt and hop I'm using.

Ok you guys have got me interested in this SMaSH beer, I have some flyer hops that are suited for a dark beer so looking at doing one with 3.5KG of either dark or amber LME and use the flyer hops (19 grams@60 min, 12 grams @15 min and 10 grams @5 min) IBU 20-27 range and ABV of 5.3% which should give something along the lines of an irish red ale going by my calculations on brewers friend. Also this would be fermented with no other sugars added as I would like to try making a beer that only has malt, hops and yeast added to make the wort only time I want to add sugar with this is to carbonate it.

There are many good ways to learn about hops. Some are more popular than others. Nothing wrong with single hop / malt recipes - it's one of a number of interesting forms of ingredient constrained brewing (brewing on the ones; 3-2-1: 3 malts, 2 hops, 1 yeast, ...).

While your recipe isn't a SMaSH (all-grain) recipe, it would appear to accomplish what you want (learn about hops within the context that they could be used) with a minimum amount of effort. Go for it!!

If you need supporting evidence for slightly more complex recipes to explore hops, there are numerous resources (books, blog posts, forum posts, ...) that use a grain bill that's 80-90% two row / pale ale and 10-20% munich or vienna. You should find that some of those recipes come from places lie Sierria Nevada Boot Camp.

SMaSH beers are a really great way to learn your ingredients! As long as the base malt has character (not US 2-row), the beer should come out pretty well! Once you get a feel for different base malts, you can add in a little character malt along with the single hops. This will give you a good idea of what those character malts bring to the table. My house IPA recipe is 90% 2-row, 10% munich. This is a great blank slate for single hops.

SMaSH beers are a really great way to learn your ingredients! As long as the base malt has character (not US 2-row), the beer should come out pretty well! Once you get a feel for different base malts, you can add in a little character malt along with the single hops. This will give you a good idea of what those character malts bring to the table. My house IPA recipe is 90% 2-row, 10% munich. This is a great blank slate for single hops.

Try Aromatic in place of the Munich…..just sayin

Try Aromatic in place of the Munich…..just sayin
10%? I have a pound of aromatic that I haven't tried yet; I thought it was generally used at about 2% or 3%.

I have done quite a few beers using 85% Pils and 15% Munich, with floral or spicy hops. I am about to bottle one that's 85/15 Pils and Vienna.

Back