Are my hops toast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol

Reaction score
I brewed my fourth batch today and realised that I'd left the hops unrefrigerated with my grains in my wine cellar which is independently air conditioned and maintains a temp of 60 degrees. I went ahead and brewed anyway thinking I could take some advice from you guys and maybe moderately dry hop the brew (it's an AHS Irish Red Ale). What do you think? Am I screwed because I won't get the same AA? Am I fine? Should I plan to dry hop this a little to bit to bump up the aroma, flavor and bitterness? The hops have been in the wine cellar for about 3 weeks. Thanks!

Were they still sealed? I would expect oxygen may be more detrimental to hops short term then temperature. They don't sound like they got particularly hot. I'd say you're likely OK, maybe you'll sacrifice a little in the AA dept.

I'd say you're fine.. My LHBS has their hops hanging on the wall unrefrigerated. I've never had a problem with them.

Have to agree with everyone here so far. If I had to bet money, I would say you were safe. As long as they were in a vacuum pack bag (didn't have contact with are) you will be fine. I leave my hops out with my grain if I plan to brew within a week after getting my ingredients, never had a problem yet.

Agreed. My LHBS doesn't refrigerate either. While I have no way of checking the actual AA of the hops, the beers taste fine so far

60F is fine. Moisture is more of a problem, but as long as they are vacuum-sealed, okay. Once opened, they should be used or frozen.

Latest posts

Back