Are my fermentations too aggressive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
I'm wondering if my fermentations are too aggressive, I made a starter for a wheat IPA last night, and 9 hours later the lid was blown off! I didn't use a blow off tube, just an airlock. I had a similar aggressive fermentation with an imperial IPA I just made. Can my fermentations be too aggressive?

I don't think they can be 'too aggressive' but you might want to look into leaving some more head space or getting a blow off valve.

Well they can be too warm, that's for sure. You may pitch the yeast within range, but a super aggressive fermentation also produces more heat. IE ambient is 65 but the beer is 75 etc.

That said, wheat beers seem to go nuts regardless. I wouldn't worry.

I NEVER brew and ferment without a blow off tube. The problem is not aggression but your method of fermenting. I use a carboy and stopper/bung. I take a 3 piece airlock and discard the top and guts. I cut off the tip slightly to eliminate any restriction. On the interior tube I slip on a 1/2" ID tube and the other end goes into a jug of water. Never had a problem.

Thanks for the response, so having that kind of fermentation 8 hours after I pitched the starter is a good thing?

I would say so, as long as you're in the normal recommended temperature ranges for that strain of yeast. If you're way high, then no, it's going to cause some off flavors.

stubbornman said:
Well they can be too warm, that's for sure. You may pitch the yeast within range, but a super aggressive fermentation also produces more heat. IE ambient is 65 but the beer is 75 etc.

That said, wheat beers seem to go nuts regardless. I wouldn't worry.

Good point, I live I'm Ohio and last time I brewed 2 weeks ago it was 35 degrees out and last night it was about 60 degrees out...what are the chances of it going bad from exposure ? I don't know how long the lid had been off

ziggy13 said:
I would say so, as long as you're in the normal recommended temperature ranges for that strain of yeast. If you're way high, then no, it's going to cause some off flavors.

I honestly don't know what kind of yeast it is, I cultured it from north peaks vicious wheat ipa... I think it just may be safale 05

I've had that happen to me twice and neither went bad. I'm assuming there was a good bit of krausen on top, so you should be fine.

I do 68 on most ales besides a few. As long as your in range your ok. Some strains are just more violent and need a tube.

I fermented 2 wheat beers and the ferment was slow and never seemed to really take off. Try fermenting yours cooler next time. Mine were pitched at 60 and put into a 62 degree room.

For some reason every time I use American ale wyeast it blows. I made two stouts with it and both blew. So now I just use a tube into bucket for first 7 days and then switch.

I fermented 2 wheat beers and the ferment was slow and never seemed to really take off. Try fermenting yours cooler next time. Mine were pitched at 60 and put into a 62 degree room.

The OP needs a glass carboy with a blow off tube going into a water filled jar. An airlock for ferments at any temperature isn't a good idea in the long run.

The OP needs a glass carboy with a blow off tube going into a water filled jar. An airlock for ferments at any temperature isn't a good idea in the long run.

The OP only needs to use a blowoff assembly. What the fermentation vessel is does not matter. A larger headspace would help.

The OP only needs to use a blowoff assembly. What the fermentation vessel is does not matter. A larger headspace would help.

Well if you have a plastic bucket with that tiny hole for the airlock what's your solution? Drill a blowoff tube hole in the lid? Hmm.

As to brewing in plastic or Better Bottles well you can do it I use glass. Drinking plasticizers isn't my choice but may be fine for others...

Well if you have a plastic bucket with that tiny hole for the airlock what's your solution? Drill a blowoff tube hole in the lid? Hmm.

As to brewing in plastic or Better Bottles well you can do it I use glass. Drinking plasticizers isn't my choice but may be fine for others...

Glass vs buckets vs better bottles has been done to death. The OP was asking if his fermentation was too aggressive. If your temperatures are too high, then yes you need to do something about it. Otherwise just rig up a blow off tube and enjoy the show!

bethebrew said:

I primary in plastic, I take out the little black ring and jam a plastic tube in until the fermentation settles enough to replace with an airlock

Back