Are ghosts real?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What are your thoughts?

Have you ever been in a situation which turned you into a believer beyond a doubt, if so what was the situation?

The ONLY odd story I have is my Grandparents have a pool table in their basement. A few years after my Grandfathers death my parents, brother and I spent the night. In the middle of the night I went to the bathroom and in the bathoom is a clothes chute to the basement. I heard very clearly pool balls hitting each other. I opened the chute and looked down, it was pitch black and I heard it again, very clearly pool balls hitting each other. No one was down there at all. Could have just been rats but regardless it was very odd.

When I was young we used to live in a house in santa fe nm that had some pretty wild history behind it. It is now over 220 years old but in the day it was a whore house. Stories went that there were fights and people were killed and buried under the house. When the foundation was repaired they found 17 skeletons in full spanshi colonial armor. When my parents bought the house they were told that there were ghosts but that you had to let them know who was boss. Alot of people who worked there heard things onle lady quit because she was in the basement heard someone walking upstairs in heavy boots. Then she heard the doors and windows slam came up all the doors were closed locked and no one was there. My mom says she heard the footsteps a few times and finally just said to "it" that she owned the house and that she wasn't scared. That was it no more footsteps.

There were other stories all more or less the same. We did find so many bodies there. It was right down the hill from an old fort and the history was incredilble. Indians, spanish, many different people lived in this area for a long time. When I was in high school I was walking home from hte bus stop and started finding human bones sticking out of the ground. Found 33 pieces in all along with pottery shards.

When I was eight years old I went to a birthday/slumber party of a good friend, Brian, at his family's retreat in east Texas. His grandfather had died just a few months earlier while at the cabin but we were all really to young to understand... Anyway, Brian and I were in the bathroom brushing our teeth before bed when his (recently deceased) grandfather walked in and put his hand down on Brian's shoulder and just smiled at him in the mirror. We both casually turned around to say hi to him but no one was there. We were both frightened stiff for a few seconds then ran out of the bathroom screaming.

That pretty much ended the sleepover as none of us would calm down - regardless if it was his grandfather (i.e. - not a monster).

Looking back, I don't know what the hell happened, or if I truly still believe it, but it nonetheless scared the piss out of us back then.

I don't belive or not belive. It COULD happen I suppose.

What I don't get is that most people don't believe in ghosts but are still religious and believe in all sorts of stuff. Kinda the same?

my $0.02

The house my ex and I lived in before my son was born was haunted. It was one of those long, narrow shotgun houses where you could see from the front door to the back door or the front bedroom to the back bedroom.

I would be in the kitchen, at the back of the house and see shadows walking across the doorways to the various rooms when I was home alone. We asked the landlords and they said that their daughter had seen the same thing when she had lived there years before.

Then when I was pregnant with my son, I was home alone and putting something away in the linen closet in the hallway and as I was leaning over, it felt as though someone passed me, my skirt brushed to one side.

Later in my pregnancy, I was on bedrest and my ex had gone to work and I heard someone walking down the hallway toward our bedroom. The footsteps stopped at the door (under the carpet was old hardwood flooring and every single movement amplified by the boards).

I coughed, thinking that whomever was in my house would realize someone was home and leave. The door was slightly cracked, so I reached over and slammed it shut and I heard footsteps move away. Both the phones were in other rooms of the house and, being 8.5 months pregnant, I was not ready to confront someone, so I grabbed my wallet and car keys and climbed out the window... thank God it was morning twilight and not full light... I was somewhat ungainly. *rollingeyes*

I walked around the house and none of the doors were open and neither were any windows, so after it got light I went inside. Both the deadbolt and the storm door locks were locked. I checked front door... same thing. I checked all the windows and all of the locks were in place, from the inside. So the ghost had apparently tried to visit me, I guess.

As far as belief in ghosts, I do and I'm not afraid of them; it's part of being a Christian. There is life after death, it's not my place to determine where the spirit lives.

I'm the 4th owner of our current house. The two previous owners were there only a short time (4 year time window between them) and not sure why they left. We were told after purchasing the place the original owner committed suicide in one of our spare bedrooms.

I have one of those remote control ceiling fan/lights in this bedroom. The light randomly turns on sometimes 3-4 times a night and always at night. The only neighbor is 50+ yards away so I'm not catching interference from them. At first I thought it was me being forgetful as did my wife. So one night I took the batteries out of the remote control (the only way to turn on the fan/light). Next morning the light was on. I've changed the frequency 3 times, still the light turns on. It has a dimmer as well built in. If I dim the light and then turn it off / on it remembers the dim setting. Except for when it turns itself on. Then it's always as bright as it goes. When I go on vacation, I take the bulbs out. Is it the original owner? Who knows, but I've been meaning to call Hunter and request a replacement fan. If it still turns on, then ya gotta wonder.

Oh yea, when my son was at home and this was his room (he didn't know) this same light NEVER turned on.

I put a six pack of Malt Shovel in the fridge two nights ago. Yesterday when I looked it was gone. Last night I put another pack in. I am expecting the same thing. Ghosts? Thirsty ghosts?

It's those Tasmanian Devils! (Ballsey fella isn't he?)

Tasmanian_devil.jpg

Or this version if you prefer

TazDevilCartoon2.jpg

They are very angry little fellows these devils.

...Have you thought about changing the dimmer switch. ...and the light could be on during the day but as it is daylight, would you notice.

dibby33 said:
They are very angry little fellows these devils.

...Have you thought about changing the dimmer switch. ...and the light could be on during the day but as it is daylight, would you notice.

Tugging the batteries out of the dimmer switch (remote control) solved that as not being the culprit. Shade is always pulled as it faces west (desert heat) so it's only going on at night. I will solve this! (if I only had the time) ;). Best is to just get the mfg to replace it and go from there. Doesn't freak me or the wife out though. I'm educated in electronics servicing. Next is a power line analyzer to look for spikes.

desertBrew said:
I'm the 4th owner of our current house. The two previous owners were there only a short time (4 year time window between them) and not sure why they left. We were told after purchasing the place the original owner committed suicide in one of our spare bedrooms.

I have one of those remote control ceiling fan/lights in this bedroom. The light randomly turns on sometimes 3-4 times a night and always at night. The only neighbor is 50+ yards away so I'm not catching interference from them. At first I thought it was me being forgetful as did my wife. So one night I took the batteries out of the remote control (the only way to turn on the fan/light). Next morning the light was on. I've changed the frequency 3 times, still the light turns on. It has a dimmer as well built in. If I dim the light and then turn it off / on it remembers the dim setting. Except for when it turns itself on. Then it's always as bright as it goes. When I go on vacation, I take the bulbs out. Is it the original owner? Who knows, but I've been meaning to call Hunter and request a replacement fan. If it still turns on, then ya gotta wonder.

Oh yea, when my son was at home and this was his room (he didn't know) this same light NEVER turned on.

Not trying to hijack this thread... but those remote control fans are POS. I have not had a single one that the damn remote doesn't go haywire...

dibby33 said:
what happens if you leave the light on at night?

Bugger never turns off, but then how do I really know if it went on then off? Ok, it's time to get that replacement fan :)

John Beere said:
Not trying to hijack this thread... but those remote control fans are POS. I have not had a single one that the damn remote doesn't go haywire...

I've been waiting for them to die. Got 5 and all are still working. Got lucky I guess. Hampton Bay and Hunter.

Enough about my fan, who has the hot naked ghost walking around?

very much so and still looking for an investigation group to work with, but unfortunatly every lead I get is a dead end . . . forgive the pun

Not far from where I live (Probably 40 miles) is Bachelor Grove cemetery, allegedly the "most haunted place on earth". Now, I'm an agnostic, but I've had some creepy experiences there.

I do know for a fact that there is a ghost living in my house. I've heard him. So has the wife, but she doesn't believe in him. He farts, and then I get blamed. Damned ghost.

My garage doors were opening randomly. I'd go out there and they would be part way open. It stopped when I stopped carrying the pocket remote. I suspect the remote was activating when I tossed it & my keys on the shelf before going to bed.

My compact florescent lights in the bedroom tend to flicker at night, but only when they are plugged into an X-10 controller.

"Reality is what is left when I stop believing." I had "believe" beaten out of me as a child. Church schools are good at that.

Cheesefood said:
Not far from where I live (Probably 40 miles) is Bachelor Grove cemetery,

That place is SPOOKY! I used to live about 10 minutes away. We visited there several times.

As far as ghosts, I absolutely believe. While I haven't really had any experinces myself, I've read way too many accounts from well respected people to blow it off as nothing.

Ghosts are real. I had an experience which can be explained no other way. I advise one and all: do not read any further if you don't wish to be seriously terrified.

When I was young, I had an incredible imagination. I could see things in clouds and in the way tree branches would come together, in leaves and in mud. It used to be a game with me, that I would see these things and imagine them to be real. And mostly, it was very cool. Mostly, I enjoyed it. It was just a fun little make believe game I used to play when I was alone. But there was one time when the games were not fun.

Growing up, my bedroom was a converted attic on the top floor of the house. It had knotty-pine panelling and a sloped ceiling because it was against the roof. At the two ends, my room was maybe only 3 feet high. In the middle it was about 6 feet. There was only one window and it faced a street light out in the alley and that street light cast an orangish glow into my entire room and the directional light, being what it was, would play tricks on my eyes because my paneling also was orangish and so my knotty pine walls would actually seem to glow at night. And with each passing moment, as I would lay in my bed, eyes wide open, I would survey the room and see shadows. All sorts of shadows. I would see shadows within my school clothes, tossed across the back of a chair, and I would see shadows cast from my toys upon the floor. And I would see shadows, dark dark shadows, in the farthest corners of my room. I kept awake at night, for hours sometimes, just to watch the shadows. There was something about them that I didn't completely trust. There was something sinister about them.

And each night, after I had become quite terrified, I would play another game. I would like at the knots in the pine in the panelling on my wall and I would see eyes and I would see faces. those knots in the wall would appear to "pair off" and join into a set of eyes- as set of dark, black, soulless eyes that would stare at me and I could not stop staring back. Transfixed, I could feel my heart beating faster. I would pull the blankets tighter over my body, I would want to scream, call for my parents, but I found I could make no sound. And every night went on like this. My first memories are of this and it continued to the age of about 7. And then IT happened.

I was about 7 years old and I dreaded going to bed in my room. Oftentimes, I would beg and plead with my father to allow me to sleep downstairs in another room, but usually he said no and I would unwillingly trudge and stomp up to my room. But this time was different. I don't know what it was, but I positively DREADED going to my room that night. I just KNEW something was going to happen. I pleaded with my parents. I hid on my stairs, just outside my rioom that night for what seemed like hours, then tried to sneak back downstairs. I did not want to enter my room. I was afraid of what was there.

Finally, I fell asleep on my stairs and my father picked me up and carried me into my room where he tucked me in. And then it happened. My eyes shot open as he left the room. I immediately saw the eyes staring at me from the panelling. I immediately KNEW something bad was going to happen. I pulled the covers up over my body. I shivered in fear, I thought, at first, that I could almost make out a sound, like breathing, or laughing. Dark and sinister. Fear washed over me and the worst part was, and I didn't even know why I was afraid. And then... it happened.

This is why I KNOW ghosts really exist.

There, in my room, was a ghost. I couldn't see him, I couldn't hear him. I couldn't feel him. But I knew he was there....

Because he took a s h i t in my pants!!!!!!

:drunk:

I grew up in an old river port town in CT. My house was built before the revolutionary war by a ship's captain that dabbled in smuggling since there were trap doors that lead to hidden rooms. It was also rumored to have been a stop on the underground railroad, though that wasn't proven. But, when I was little that place scared the crap outta me! There were always weird noises and sometimes stuff would seem to be somewhere besides where I left it. Nothing major, just always a little creepy and odd.

Then one morning when I was in 8th grade I was combing my hair in front of the mirror in my sister's bedroom(she was hogging the bathroom as usual) when I felt a shiver go up my back. When I turned around the chair from my sister's desk that had been all the way at the other end of the room(20 ft) was directly behind me. I'm 100% sure that the chair was at the desk when I went in since my sister was anally neat and nothing was ever out of place and I would have had to walk around it to get to where I was. I stood there for a second confused and freaked out, then bolted out of the room. I didn't go back in that room for at least 2 yrs. I also never told my sister, she was older and always picked on me so I figured to hell with her let the ghost get her......

Then, when i was in college one of my friends got a summer job for the town tourism board and his project for the summer was to develop a walking tour of the historical sites in our town. He decided to put my house on it because we used to get drunk there in high school. He found out that my house was also the site of the first all girls school in the country. It made me wonder if the ghost, or whatever it was, was the old schoolmaster trying to make me take my seat.

Ize-

when I was at uconn, every halloween this family of ghost hunters named the Warrens always gave a lecture and told all their ghost experiences. They showed some pics like yours from an old cemetery in CT that supposed to be very haunted. They had the strange things seemingly floating there also. The Warrens said that those are the images of ghosts/spirits that the human eye can't catch but for some reason the camera does. Who knows if it's true or not but it's kinda freaky that both sets of pics have the same floaty things and they were both taken in a supposedly haunted cemetery....

cnbudz said:
Ize-

when I was at uconn, every halloween this family of ghost hunters named the Warrens always gave a lecture and told all their ghost experiences. They showed some pics like yours from an old cemetery in CT that supposed to be very haunted. They had the strange things seemingly floating there also. The Warrens said that those are the images of ghosts/spirits that the human eye can't catch but for some reason the camera does. Who knows if it's true or not but it's kinda freaky that both sets of pics have the same floaty things and they were both taken in a supposedly haunted cemetery....

Some of the pics are gone that I had posted originally... (nothing supernatural, I needed the attachment space. :D ) I'll see if I can dig them up and re-post if anyone is interested.

It was an isolated incident, and the first and only time that sort of thing has happened to me. That it happened where it did really kind of sealed the deal for me tho. I won't object if something similar ever happens to me again.

Right now tho, I'm watching for the latest from todd_k and his "Strange things in the new house" thread. Too much weirdness. :rockin:

Ize

Ize said:
Some of the pics are gone that I had posted originally... (nothing supernatural, I needed the attachment space. :D ) I'll see if I can dig them up and re-post if anyone is interested.

There was still one showing up further down the thread and it looked kinda like the ones they showed at the lecture, still freaky though:drunk:

Worked on computers at a place I've been to several times over the years. Talked about Netflix and soem TV shows and the subject came around about ghosts. The brought out a picture their daughter took at her grandma's house on a brand new 35mm camera her grandma had given her. She just went around the house taking pictures of the dog, stuff like that as kids do.

When they got the film back from the lab there was a picture of her grandpa. Just a BLACK picture with his face right in the middle of it. He had died 4 years before. They asked her where she took the picture and she said she just held the camera up and pressed the button. The went through the entire house for a picture and there were none that looked like that.

They said she's always been close to the supernatural her whole life.

It was a creepy picture, I gotta say!

I had some friends who rented the top floor of an old victorian house. Sounds cheesy already, I know. But I slept n the extra bedroom. I closed the french doors that led to the balcony outside. After going to bed, before falling asleep (maybe 3 minutes) I felt someone get on the foot of the bed and crawl towards me. My body went ice cold. I flew out of the bed. No one there. Didn't sleep much, but in the morning, the french doors were open. But I know what I felt.

The house we lived in when I was in junior high had some weird things - mostly quick motions out of the corner of your eye that you could never quite see. We never talked about them as a family, but it turns out some special needs kids had lived there a long time ago and one of them set fire to one of the rooms and died apparently.

Years later, we were talking about stuff as a family and my mom asked if my brother and I thought that house was haunted. We all then shared the same stories. Creepy.

There's something going on beyond our normal perceptions, is my take on the matter.
As I mentioned in the hijacking of the other thread where someone was asking about the new Call of Duty game, I do watch a couple of the ghost investigations shows - Hunters and Adventures. I do think that most of what they find and claim as 'proof' can be explained away by dust, lens flare, animals, birds and just old buildings settling. However, there is a small percentage, maybe 5 - 10 % that can't be explained by any rational experience.
For those in 'haunted' houses, I don't necessarily believe that it's the spirit, or soul, or remnant of Great-Uncle Frank or Aunt Edna checking in, but I can say that the house I live has some odd things occasionally. My (now) wife grew up in this house, her mother lived here until the last month or so before she passed away, and her grandfather, also now gone, was a fewquent visitor. I do occasionally hear things, and once in a while see things, that are odd. I can't say it's ghosts, or bugs, or just feedback or something in my head.
I can tell you one story, though. We have a hutch in the dining room that is full of glasses as so forth; souveniers from breweries and wineries we've been to, separately and together. When we walk past it, it shakes, and the glasses clink together. the wall this is on backs up to our bedroom.
The night after I proposed, we clearly heard footsteps walking past, and the glasses clinking together as the hutch shook. Needless to say we were the only ones here, and both accounted for.
Half joking, I did call out, "Glad you approve, Barbara!"
Again, I can't say if it was ghosts or whatever, but that hutch hasn't done that before or since, and it DOESN'T move otherwise.

I consider myself a skeptic waiting to be shwon they exist....and by that I mean I hope I never get shown they exist, but these are my 2 experiences:

1.I Grew up in Puerto Rico, where the nights without AC are horribly hot. We can only afford 2 units, so my sister would sleep in my room in a pullout bet, she was maybe 6 and me 8. My room would be in a corner, with the bathroom next to mine, and her bedroom directly accoss from me, so I have to pass her door to go to the toilet. One night, maybe 1-2 am, I wake up to go to the bathroom. I do my business, and when I come out I notice that her door is open, the lights to her room are off, and she is standing in the middle of her room. I talk to her, but she doesnt respond, she just stays there looking at me. I think nothing of it, turn around and when I look into my bedroom, she was sleeping in there. Freaked. The.****.Out.Of.Me.

2. I was raised by my paternal grandmother, and I feel we are still VERY connected. Sounds strange but I feel like she protects me. Anyways I used to date this one girl who believed she was a medium, never really believed her because she will always say things that were obviously not true. Once tried to convince me that my grandmother wrote me a letter thru her, even tho my grandmother never learned english. That still sort of stuff on my mind, and I recall one morning where I was woken up by someone gently grabbing my foot. But it happened in a very maternal way, like someone trying to wake me up, and I woke up very relaxed and feeling as if it was her waking me up.

Now, im a huge sleep walker, so both of these im sure could be my subconscious, but still makes me wonder.

Intertaining thread BTW. We bought our house about 10 years ago. As married couples do we had some disagreements over who's space was who's. My husband made it very clear that the garage and connecting shop was his, still trying to talk him into a brewing area. Anyway, one of the previous owners had passed away. His wife is an RN and it is quite possible he was able to pass at home. He was an avid carpenter and craftsman.

When we moved in a series of weird events occured. I had difficulty getting the garage door to work. I would complain my husband would come over push the button and the door would go up. BTW I tried every way of pushing the button. One day we took a walk around the neighborhood. When we returned my motorcycle was tipped over, leaning against his. But the freakiest thing was my dogs. They would randomly stare at a spot on the wall or floor and start barking like mad. Nothing was there, not even a speck.

So one day as I pulled into the garage, I said OK this garage is yours and my husbands, I will only park my car in here, nothing else. Have not had an incident since.

Never saw a ghost. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just makes it tougher to make me a believer. I've experienced a few things that were exceedingly weird, but all had reasonable, rational explanations. I guess I'll believe it when I actually see one.
Though I do enjoy a good ghost story!
Regards, GF.

Old Marine Corps adage:

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

So I'm a non believer.

I have had my fair share of weird things happen. I am in between a yes and no.

Late/Early morning I hear my daughters toy guitar start playing on its own in her room. I go in take the batteries out figuring the circuit board shorted out. About 30 min later it starts again, I go in and check it again, yes there are no batteries and yes it is playing on its own. I look at the dog and she is curled up in the corner looking my way like WFT is going on (she normally slept in the middle of the floor btw). I flip the toy guitar over and place it face down on the floor, walk out and our dog came running out so fast she nearly took me out in the hall. Five minutes later it stopped playing for the night. Next day that toy ended up in the garbage.

Working on a truck at work I randomly got up to get a wrench and ~15seconds later a hydraulic fitting fails at 3,000 psi sending shrapnel right at the area I was working. The wrench I was looking for I was using and in my hand. Something was watching me and wanted me to move.

Only one event where I was asleep and groggy at the time however too clear and detailed to be a dream. After my son was born it was the second night in the hospital I awoke to a feeling like some one was watch/in the room that was not supposed to be there. What I saw was my grandfather looking at our son in the crib/Bassett thing much like a person does first meeting a child. He looks at me smiles and waves. As I am trying to shake the cob webs free of my head the nurse enters the room to take my son to the nursery to run a couple tests and apologizes for waking me up. At the time I didn't think much of it until our daughter was born and couldn't shake the feeling that another familiar friendly being was in the room with us for the first night.

I worked at an indoor pool throughout highschool as a lifeguard/swim lesson instructor. I didn't believe the people who said the place was haunted at first but the first night I closed (after making sure the place was empty and all doors were locked) i definitely heard splashing and laughter from the pool area. When i walked out to check, the water was definitely rippling but no one was around

We had one in our last house, I went to the basement one day and suddenly felt a real chill and the nausea followed, there was a spot on our floor that when stepped on the duct work used make a noise, I have heard that at night when we were in bed.

This is a repost from another thread. It's something that happened to me when I was 19. I'm undecided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK - I have a weird story. I can't verify that it is actually paranormal, but it was abnormal at the very least.

When I was in college I used to work as a night watchman at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, NY. Babe Ruth is buried there, among others. There are a lot of old, creepy mausoleums there. I worked midnight to 8AM.

My job was to drive around every hour and punch in at specific locations in the cemetery. This involved getting out of my car and walkng up to 100 yds into the middle of the grounds to put a key into a clock I carried. The key recorded that I had been there. The place was old, creepy, and had huge iron gates that were locked at 6PM. I got paid $10/hr in 1979, which was pretty good money. That's the only reason I took the job. No one else would take it. They let me take my dog to work too.

One night I was doing my rounds. It was just beginning to get light (~5:00 AM). It was misty and there was a knee-deep fog over the entire area. I got out of my car to punch my clock and I heard music. I started walking toward the spot I needed to clock in at and there was a 'guy' in full Scottish garb standing about 100 ft away from me playing the bagpipes. He was right in the middle of an open part of the cemetery. It was still pretty dark and the gates were still locked. There was no way this 'guy' should have been there. His back was to me. He was just standing there playing.

Now since I was being paid to 'guard' the place, the proper response should have been my approaching him to see what was going on. That did not happen! I took off as fast as my feet would carry me. I probably took out a few tombstones on my way back to my car. I went back to my guard shack and skipped the rest of my round. Once it got a little lighter I felt guilty and drove back to the spot where I saw him. There were no signs of him.

To this day I don't know who or what the guy was.

That's my story and I'm stickng to it.

There are three around my house. One is an old Italian lady who owned the house in the 50s. My wife sees her, I feel her.

There is a little boy who my wife frequently sees. I never see him. I think he isn't attached to the house. I think he is attached to my wife's family.

And there is an orange tabby cat I only ever see when I'm doing some major repair or remodel on the house. The cat just sits there and watches me.

Back