Are any of these huge issues to worry about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLou

Reaction score
Ok, so back in May I got married. I made 3 AG beers for the wedding that went over great! Right before the big day I found another couple of recipes that I wanted to craft. I went out and bought everything, yeast, hops, grain, milled it all, everything...

Given that I bought all of this back in April/May, will any of this still be good to use? The milled grain I transfered to ziplock bags, so I know they are pretty well sealed. Everything grain wise "looks" just like it did when I bagged it.

The yeast I am concerned with as well. The date on the smack packs are Jun/Julyish... Has anyone had any experience with "expired" smack packs, or should I just swing by and pick up fresh packs if the grain is good to go?

Thanks for any info in advance!

You could try making a yeast starter to see if it is still viable. If it is that would kick it into working order. Otherwise it would be a good idea to replace it.
The grain should still be in working condition, maybe not perfect and obviously it would be preferable if it were not milled but it should work. I think it does loose diastolic power over time so you SG may be a bit low.
Hops should be good to go if you kept them in the fridge/freezer. If not, probably, I don't really now how long hops last at room temp but I would assume a few months would be fine.

In short; you have all this stuff, I would use it. Maybe just try one batch first but give it a shot.

As I have only done 1 all grain batch I can't answer for the grain but if you have time make up a starter or 2 for the yeast and they should be fine as long as they were in the fridge

Yep, you definitely have a huge issue there. Getting married is a pretty big deal! :D Grain gets bad more quickly if it's milled but I used some grain that was milled 8 months ago recently and it's still fine. If the yeast and hops were refrigerated they're fine, you just need to make a yeast starter, which you probably should have done anyway.

Thanks for the replies! Cromwells did give me a good chuckle!

Everything yeast/hops wise have been refridgerated. My micro fridge which used to hold my beers for my gaming time now holds those same beers and yeast/hops :D.

I have the stuff to make a starter so Ill def get that done. My main worry is that one was for a high gravity beer, and the other was for a saison. The HG one is supposed to come in around 11%, but Ill know more once I check the OG and measure my efficiency with it. At least it will give me more practice worse case scenario lol. That and it will postpone the wifes wine making until a carboy is freed up!

Recently when cleaning my freezer out I found ingredients for a cream ale (milled grains, hops) no yeast so I used some Notty. It had to be over a year old. I said what the heck and brewed it. OG was a lil off from what I figured but could have been my process or my math. BUT it made great beer.

I have the stuff to make a starter so Ill def get that done. My main worry is that one was for a high gravity beer, and the other was for a saison. The HG one is supposed to come in around 11%, but Ill know more once I check the OG and measure my efficiency with it. At least it will give me more practice worse case scenario lol. That and it will postpone the wifes wine making until a carboy is freed up!

Grab some malt extract just in case your OG is off for the 11% beer. If it doesn't get used for the beer, you're set up to make more starters.

Back