Appropriate amount of time for pellicle formation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
I started a Flanders red back in December (2017). After primary fermentation was done, I racked it to a bucket and added my additional yeast and bugs (Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Belgian sour blend). As of this week, there's what looks like the beginning of a pellicle; an oily sheen with some concentrated spots . . . but that's about it. It's been a little cool around here lately, but the temperature in the closet where my fermenter is has been a steady 65 - 68 degrees.

Should I be worried? How long does it generally take to form a pellicle?

Some of my sours never form a pellicle. There are a bunch of different reasons a pellicle may or may not form but usually oxygen is the biggest reason one will form. Have you tasted it to see how sour it is?

From what i've heard, the roselare blend takes about 20 months to really hit its prime as far as flavor is concerned.

Some of my sours never form a pellicle. There are a bunch of different reasons a pellicle may or may not form but usually oxygen is the biggest reason one will form. Have you tasted it to see how sour it is?

It's only been in the secondary for three months, so it's early for tasting yet. I'm glad to know that some of yours never formed a pellicle; I always figured that the pellicle was a necessary side-effect of the souring process.

Back