Apple haul!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckjohn

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to tip the group off....

If you live in Apple country -- the season has started!

And... If you want to make some Cider from Apples... No better place to start than with Cheap apples...

If you find an Orchard -- Ask for "Cow apples" or "Deer apples" -- they are the small ones that don't make the grade for size.... Most good size orchards end up with pallets full of these little apples to get rid of... Otherwise, they can be really good stuff....

Yesterday, I bought 2 bushels of "Deer apples" for $6.00/bushel! You can get really screaming deals if you can deal with a pallet...

What kind of apples did I end up with?
Ginger gold
Red Delicious
Granny Smith
Gala
Mutsu
Fuji
Golden delicious

Best part -- 10 bad apples out of 2 whole bushels!

Thanks

John

Nice - around here we call those #2 apples or cider apples, but sounds like the same thing. $6/bu for 2 bu is a good deal. I usually pay $8 unless we get more than 25 bu, in which case the price drops to $6. That should be a good mix, could maybe use a few more tart apples, depending on what percentage is Granny Smith. I generally try to avoid the delicious and ginger gold as they dont have as much flavor as the others you got, but that should still be a real nice mix. Let us know how it comes out!

Sweet! I wish I wasn't in an apartment and had room for 1 - bushels of apples, 2 - apple press/grinder 3 - room to ferment all of that juice.

I'm going to have to make due with what I can get from local presses.

Back