Aphids in my hops.. Aphids in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahless

Reaction score
I harvested my first years growth of hops today and got 97g of wet hops, so roughly ~20g when dried. Only since the start of this week have I noticed that the very top cones have aphids inside them, although there is no damage, they are just hanging out in there. I've been squirting them out, and using a little brush, but no matter how gentle I am I end up knocking bits off the cone off with them.

So, can I just brew with these little guys? I'm more worried about dry hopping; I want to brew a 4.5L batch, 4% abv, with all of these hops, drying 2/5 of them to dry hop with in secondary.

I used to get aphids & spider mites on my roses & brussel sprouts. The local garden center sells ladybugs in any amount you want. They feed on them like sharks! So when you see them during the growing season, get some lady bugs & sprinkle them on the affected areas. They go to work on them until they're gone! Great, environmentally friendly way to cure the problem! :mug:

Ladybugs are awesome.

Have you tried putting a live aphid attracting plant near the hops? You might just draw them out.

Either of these options work well.

In my brewing career, I have discovered 2 things about the natural world that I never knew.

I am glad that yeast and ladybugs choose not to feed on humans. They are both voracious eating machines!

I bought about 100 ladybugs last year and they took care of the aphids in my small hop plot in about 4 days.
I almost felt bad for the aphids....ALMOST.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm always amazed how fast they can clear out a bad infestation of those little pests! Cool how nature has an order to the food chain. No chemicals, just ladybug munchies!:mug:

I wouldn't dry hop with them, but boil away. Extra protein for head retention.
haha, extra protein it'll have to be.

Ladybugs are awesome.

Have you tried putting a live aphid attracting plant near the hops? You might just draw them out.
I have some chives underneath, but I'm finding conflicting results on whether they attract or offend aphids.

It seems that some aphids are climbing away from the hops as they sit on the drying mesh. I'm able to move the hops out the way and shake/squish at least some of the aphids out of the way. I could try and mine for aphid free ones for dry-hopping.

I had a couple green worms floating around in the boil after adding my wet hop additions on my latest pale ale. So I vote throw those suckers in!

Back