Apfelwein with expired juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
I have a crapload of apple juice I bought on sale a while back. I moved though and wasn't able to use it until now, but when I went to get set things up, I realized it expired in April.

So I'm wondering... If I taste the juice and it tastes normal, is it okay to use it? Or is there a reason beyond bacterial spoiling (ie "infection") or oxidation that I may prefer to just throw it all? My experience with beer and such would lead me to believe that it's fine as long as it TASTES fine, but I don't want to just assume that or have that inclination as an extension of my experience with beverages and sanitization, and I'm hoping somebody has an answer that DOESN'T just come from the same bias/assumptions, as MANY people and posts on HBT tend to do. I don't mean to sound rude when asking for advice, but please let somebody else answer if you're just assuming things.

Edit: Oh, and it was kept in an air-conditioned basement but never in the fridge, although it's the kind of apple juice that even the stores store on the shelves rather than the refrigerated section. The only "preservative" is ascorbic acid, which I believe just helps prevent oxidation (ie an anti-oxidant).

If it has been kept cool, dry and sealed (as it sounds like it has) I would expect it to be fine long after whatever date is stamped on it.

I'd use it without looking back.
Its pastureized and still sealed. They have to put some date on it and are conservative. April 2012 isn't that long ago.

Is it an expiration date or a "best buy:" date? All of my bottled juices have a best buy date, which is basically how long the manufacturer will guarantee their product for. More of a liabilty protection than a safety protection, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back