Apfelwein Trouble..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fococlimber

Reaction score
I am doing my first batch of Apfelwein and its been about 24 hours and no action yet, I am using WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast from White Labs. The use by dat was oct 24, it sat in my fridge for about a month.. could they have died?

The yeast should have been fine. With no starter, 24 hours is a reasonable lag time. Also, the recipe calls for Montrachet wine yeast. I believe the beer yeast may have a hard time with the apfelwein since there's no maltose in there.

I'm doing my first apfelwein and I'd read that the temperature didn't much matter. Mine's sitting in my basement around 75 right now. But mine also didn't start for over 24 hours.

I figure I'll find out in six weeks.

Thanks for the posting here. I'm going on 24 hours with no action so I'll just calm myself after reading this. Hopefully it will start in the next 18 hrs though because I have to go out of town for 4 days.

edit - 24 hours and no airlock action but I can hear the boys working. Sweet.

Back