Apfelwein or hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I'm looking to do something with apple juice/cider but I'm not sure if I should do apfelwein or hard cider (or even what all the differences are).

From what I've read it sounds like an apfelwein will finish more dry than a cider and have a higher ABV? Anything else that sets them apart?

really those are the only differences. i would make the cider though. its not as strong, but its ready quicker and if you do it right, the abv will kick you just the same.
bubbles are better

I've made both and both are excellent. The Apfelwein is drier than the cider. For the cider, I used S04 yeast and it was done in 4 weeks, well, at least I was done...waiting. I got lazy and didn't take gravity readings, but my liver says it has a good kick.

I attempted my first cider and the OG was 1.068. I used the wyeast sweet mead yeast hoping to leave some sweetness. Well that didn't happen and it fermented out to 1.000 more of an Apfelwein. It was good but I wanted it more like a cider so I added back apple juice concentrate until I hit 1.026 and it's perfect for my tastes. I used some potassium sorbate and kegged it. I guess it depends on the taste you are trying to achieve. I prefer some sweetness in it so I would say cider.

I just bottled my first batch using Fresh apple juice (went to the farm with a 6 gal bucket) 4lb of brown sugar and English Cider Yeast.

Started at 19 Brix (sorry, I come from a wine background) on 10/22 and was down to 1 brix on 11/12. So just about 3 weeks.

18 brix fermented, so it's ~9% alcohol and delicious! I put some in wine bottles and some in bottles with a little extra sugar. I think my high AC may have killed of most of the yeast so it will be interesting to see if it carbonates.

A vote for cider as your first try. Mine went from grain...err, juice to glass in 13 days. I bottle pasteurized mine, stopping fermentation around 1.010. You can click on my profile for the recipe I used.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with a cider. Any other recipes out there? This one sounds good but I'm probably just gonna be using straight juice/cider.

Also I was planning on using Nottingham yeast since I already have some. Is that weird? I know they have cider yeast and stuff but I feel like a clean ale yeast should work just as well.

Back