Apfelwein-making idiot move...!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Today was Apfelwein-making for me.

Bought 4 gallons of Mott's juice, as I knew I had some opened apple juice from earlier in the week.

It turned out what I had left was only a partial 2 qt, so, not thinking straight, I added a bit of... tap water!

I wonder if I have compromised the batch with this relatively minor amount of tap water, or will it take care of itself (alcohol level, etc)?

Odd: My browser's spell-checker spots "Apfelwein" as misspelled...!

RDWHAHB.

You used tap water didn't you? If you went down to the Charles River and grabbed a bucket from there you might have something to worry about, but if you used your municiple water you should be fine.

TBS, if you end up dying a slow, painful agonizing death caused by your beer... Opps, my bad.

The Charles is not as bad as it used to!

As a matter of fact the water quality is excellent mostly, even though, visually it looks murky from all the tannin from leaves, etc. Many illegal outfall pipes have been decommissioned.

Did you that there are more many dozen volunteers doing sampling work three times a week, on each small segment of the Charles? I almost did participate, as the river is 700 yards away from me - could not commit though.

In the meantime my Apfelwein is active, does not stink, but had grown some sort of thin Saturn ring on the surface, whitish small particles, hmm....

Don't worry. I've sometimes thrown in some tap water out of laziness and it's been fine. The yeast will usually take care of any nasties that want to eat that tasty sugar. As for the wateriness of the brew, try adding some concentrate as others suggested.

Latest posts

Back