Apfelwein Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekid88

Reaction score
http://img80.imageshack.us/i/cimg2043e.jpg/

http://img80.imageshack.us/i/cimg2043e.jpg/

This is a modified EdWort's Apfelwein reciepe. I used 3 gallons apple juice and 2 gallons cranberry/pomegranite. Corn sugar and a wine yeast. In the pics you can see a possible infection, i dont know what this is. Everything else is going according to plan but these guys worry me. Still smells really good and has been about a month since starting. If you shake the carboy it breaks up and goes away for a couple days. Infection or something with the yeast floating? Any advice please, thanks.

did you use fresh or bottled/frozen juice?

i've always followed the original recipe and never had any clumps of goo build up on the surface..

Bottled. Tree top apple juice from costco. and a no name cranberry/ pomigranite juice. both 100% juice. no presevatives.

I have brewed quite a few Apfelwein's in my day (hey look, there is some in my primary as we speak lol) and can't say I have ever seen that. If all else fails you can always taste it and see what it is, there isn't anything that will hurt you in any way ^^

Yup, just as I thought.

UFO's.

To be honest, it doesn't look much like yeast...yeast wouldn't situate like that. And it doesn't look like any infection I've ever seen, but, I haven't seen many.

As the bastard above me said, I'd taste it. If it tastes fine, usually is fine.

Good luck!

Tastes and smells really good. Whatever they are they are either having no effect or making it better. Ill just skim these guys off the top when I bottle it. Thanks for the insight. Now my wife will drink it because you guys said it cant hurt. She was very gun shy before. Thanks.

Back