Apfelwein - How lowww will it go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerdad

Reaction score
I hate to start yet another Apfelwein thread, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer through searching.

I started a batch way back on 2/24, 5 gal of Mott's, two pounds of dextrose, but not Ed's Montrachet yeast. The dude at the LHBS recommended Wyeast's 4184 Sweet Mead yeast instead, saying it would leave more of the apple essence, whereas the Montrachet would strip it. It's been happily bubbling away ever since, only gradually slowing down over time. At the moment, it's about twenty, twenty-two seconds between bubbles. I took a reading on Saturday, and after all this time it's only down to 1.009. On the 31st it was 1.011, so only a two point drop in two weeks. And before you ask, no I did not take an initial gravity reading. Not from laziness, just mental fatigue...

The question is, just how low can I expect this to drop with this yeast? Montrachet goes way lower I know, but given that this is a 'sweet' yeast, will it ever drop that far? The rate of bubbling and the current gravity tell me it's still not finished, but at the current rate it will take another couple of months to get below 1.000! The current temp on the carboy is around 70.

I want to bottle this weekend, but will hold off for sure if need be. :confused:

I used the White Labs sweet mead yeast for making this, and it ended up below 1.000 (.998 IIRC). I kegged it before it finished fermenting though and crashed out the yeast with gelatin, then back sweetened with apple juice concentrate, force carbed, and drank very young, and it was gone after a weekend of parties. Wait until the bubbling and gravity movement stops before bottling. It takes some time to age anyway.

brewerdad said:
The dude at the LHBS recommended Wyeast's 4184 Sweet Mead yeast instead, saying it would leave more of the apple essence, whereas the Montrachet would strip it.

The dude probably never tried Montrachet, let alone made any Apfelwein.

Montrachet will ferment down to 0.098. The Apple essence is not stripped at all, but takes proper aging to allow it to become pronounced.

Ask any hard cider maker, and they will tell you it takes a year to make good hard cider. Wine makers will tell you it take that long for good wine as well.

Give your Apfelwein 6-8 months and you will be nicely surprised at the difference and the lovely apple essence.

mine took 47 days to stop bubbling, fermented down to 0.098 I think I'll save a couple of bottles for Christmas.

OldFarmer said:
Ed, surely you're jesting!! After 12 weeks, I was slurping the bottom. You think I need treatment? "Hello, my name's Oldfarmer, and I'm an apfelhead":drunk:

Hello, my name is McSwiggin' and...... I'm an apfelhead too. I first noticed I was an apfelhead after sampling 3 pints (per Ed's instruction). I have to say, it's nice to have a place where apfelheads can talk about,,, well,,, apfelwein.

Yes, Ed is correct. Montrachet will not strip the apple. It will take time as all things fruit do. Montrachet gets a bad rap from some esters and fusels it can throw out certain ferm temps. My experience is that these off flavors will dissipate with time. How much time? That all depends on a great many things from temps down to sulfur compound in the apples used. I have made apfelwein with different brands of apple juice and they all require different amounts of time to mellow. Trust your taste buds. They will tell you when it's ready to drink. My standard has been 5 weeks in primary, then a min. of 2 months in the bottle. I am sure everyone has there own preference on taste and aging so do what works for you and RWHAHB! :mug: PROST!

Thanks for all the input. I was just concerned about the length of time it seems to be taking to get to a good final gravity. After all, it's been seven weeks in the carboy and is only down to 1.009, down from 1.011 two whole weeks before that. So the five weeks from 'brewing' to kegging I've read sounds pretty good. But, I'll just continue being patient and wait it out to bottle so that I get it right.

BTW, the taste right now will make it tough to hang onto for one month after bottling, let alone 6-8. It reminds me of an Asti-style sparkling wine, really, really nice. And since I like my champagne Brut-dry, I'm thinking the Montrachet sounds pretty fantastic. I've got the dextrose and Montrachet for the next batch, just waiting for a free carboy. I'm thinking of buying another one, just so I can get that batch started sooner...

brewerdad said:
I've got the dextrose and Montrachet for the next batch, just waiting for a free carboy. I'm thinking of buying another one, just so I can get that batch started sooner...

Go for it. The sooner the better.

This is what you need going at home. You can then forget about a couple for months.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

I am a noob and my first batch is only 15 days old. I tasted it today - couldn't help it. So far it is quite tasty. I went with the members mark juice but changed the yeast as the local shop was out of Ed's normal mix. I used red star cote des blancs as it is ~supposed~ to finish a bit sweeter. We shall see.

When should it start to drop out and clarify - week 4 or 5?

EdWort said:
Go for it. The sooner the better.

This is what you need going at home. You can then forget about a couple for months.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg
Ed...You are only telling the NooBs 1/2 the story.
Once you have that....your new goal will be at very least this

IMG_0784.jpg

BigKahuna said:
Ed...You are only telling the NooBs 1/2 the story.
Once you have that....your new goal will be at very least this

Perhaps, but it should not be sitting on the shelf, it needs to be in a carboy mixed with dextrose and Montrachet yeast.

As per your directions Good sir, I have 3 batches in process. This is the backup supply for the next 10 gallons. There is 11 gallons (1x5 gallon, 2x3 gallon) in process, and a carboy cap on the way. I will be brewing 16 gallons at any one time.

You sir... need to just give me everything you have.

I'm working with an Ale Pail and a Deer Park jug that I'll be sealing off with a blowoff tube and some saran wrap / duct tape.

I need moneys.

AnotherFinch said:
You sir... need to just give me everything you have.

I'm working with an Ale Pail and a Deer Park jug that I'll be sealing off with a blowoff tube and some saran wrap / duct tape.

I need moneys.

dude craigslist.com Seems eventually people get lazy and sell off their stock. I picked up about 500 glass bottles 22 oz and 12 oz for around 10 bucks, a 6.5 gal carboy for 10 and a 5 gallon carboy for 5. Everything else is pennies on the dollar. Go look in your area and be patient...

My area is AMAZING for Craigslist... I guess I'll just start looking for brewing supplies.

OK, you convinced me, Ed. I just ordered another carboy, my first Better Bottle, from Northern Brewer. That gives me four fermenters, enough to keep me going for a while. Of course, that's what I said when I just had two...

That next batch, WITH Montrachet, will be in the bottle as soon as I get that big box.
:ban:

Latest posts

Back