APA Water Profile suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
Brewing Yoopers House Pale Ale tommorrow, how do these water additions look for an APA? Brewers friend predicting a 5.4 Mash PH. All salts added to mash water only.

APA.PNG

I would drop the gypsum a little to level out the sulphate to chloride ratio. I think this may give it a harsh bitter. Dropping it will balance it out a little.

I disagree. The sulfate will accentuate dryness and will smooth out the bitterness. Of course, as long as the pH is good, you could go with less in the mash and add more later to taste.

The ratio is a seriously miss-applied factor in brewing. The first problem with it is that it refers to as making a beer bitter or malty. It does not do either. It only aids in the perception of dryness or fullness.

At 150 ppm SO4, there is barely enough in that brew to dry out the beer finish. Even at that level, this beer is likely to be perceived as being fuller or maltier than you might prefer. I've experimented with 100 ppm and 200 ppm SO4 in my standard SNPA clone and it is always better when the SO4 is at 300 ppm. While those other versions were nice, they didn't have the 'pop' that many bitter beer drinkers enjoy. However, this is a personal preference and everyone should come to their own terms with sulfate.

Its a done deal, its at a boil now. Only thing I did different is split the additions up between mash water and sparge water.

Back