APA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panicbuttonguy

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on these recipes. My goal is to create a classic APA that will appeal to a wide variety of people. I want a hop forward, balanced bitter, and a nose of citrus beer. Here are my recipe ideas. I tried to create a variety of grain bills to see what the color and taste effects would be. These will all be batch sparged. Also I'm probably going to use WY1056 and WY1272 but having a tough time deciding. Please let me know what you think and if you see any problems or things you would change before I pull the trigger on ingredients.

6.0 lbs Pale Malt
3.0 lbs Golden Promise
.75 lbs C40
.50 lbs Honey Malt
.75 oz Simcoe @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 10
2 oz mix Amarillo & Simcoe @ flame out
1.5 oz mix Amarillo & Simcoe Dry Hop
Mashed @ 152

9.5 lbs Pale Malt
.5 lbs C80
.5 lbs Mild
1 oz Horizon @ 60
.5 oz Galaxy @ 10
1 oz Summit @ 5
1.5 oz mix Galaxy and Summit Dry Hop
Mashed @ 151

9 lbs Pale malt
.5 lbs C60
.5 Victory
1 oz Cascade @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Cascade @ flame out
1.5 oz Mix of Centennial & Ahtanum Dry hop
Mashed @ 152

9 lbs Pale
1 lb C60
.5 oz Galena @ 60
1 oz Ahtanum @ 10
1 oz Chinook @ 5
1oz Centennial @ flame out
Mashed @ 150

I like the look of #3

Looks a lot like my basic pale ale recipe that I play with.

I would lean toward the grain bill from 3 or 4. I like the hop schedule in #3. Its basically my go to for PA/IPA.

Cascades play nice with centennial.

I like 1056, but 1272 will give you a clearer beer more easily.

Any of those recipes will make a tasty wort.

Those all look tasty. It looks like you know what you are doing.
My thoughts on each below:
#1 You combined the most malt forward Grain bill with the most aggressive American style hop schedule.

#2 not too familiar with mild malt; not familiar with Galaxy but summit can be really danky/onion/chivey

#3 this grain bill resembles my APA simple and clean; cant go wrong with cascades, classic grapefruit hoppyness, your friends will recognize the flavors and really like them, dry hop looks tasty and complementary

#4 Malty with some crystal sweetness (I like C-60), Good hops chinook can be a little harsh but has good flavor so good on ya for using it late in boil,

What is the projected IBUs on these? All the same?

I say make them all and see how they go.

1056 is classic and clean while 1272 gives me an awesome fruty quality that goes well with american hops (recipe # 1)

My recomendation if you are only brewing 1 is to go with the Grain from #3 and the hops from #1 with 1272 or hops #3 with 1056 (similar to SNPA)

Thank you for responding! The IBU's will all fit the BJCP guidelines. I think all are somewhere in the 35-40 range. Kind of on the higher end of the style's spectrum.

I think I am going to make them all. I've come across what I'm sure most people are finding - HOP SHORTAGE - on Amarillo, Simcoe, and Horizon. I hope one of my LHBS get some soon. Again thanks for responding, I really appreciate it.

I'd go with #3. It seems the most straight forward. If you are looking for maas appeal, KISS. Then you can guide drinkers to other beers if they enjoy certain aspects(hops/malt) of this beer. Perhaps you can you're "gateway" beer.

Back